SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A fly around

wookie1965

Set up at 10pm looking very good, took 8 inch out as sky was that clear. Two star alignment Altair and Mirach.

First M57 just to check alignment there it was bang in the middle using 25mm x40 dropped down to the 15mm x66looked even better tried the UHC filter but think it looked better without it.

M92 this is a fabulous cluster much forgotten but well worth a look with the 12mm x83 in  could start seeing stars pinging out at me.

Cygnus now and try for the Veil 25mm x40 with UHC NGC 6992 and there it was now a trick Nick showed me dial in NGC 6995 and watch the loop through the eyepiece as it finds it great to watch.

NGC 6826 wow first time this and its as it says like blinking its there then look straight at it and it goes amazing.

61 Cygni lovely double twin yellow

A lovely long Meteor streaked through about 10.40 ish.

31 and 30 Cygni easily split first orange with a green blue companion 30 I could not see that`s companion.

Σ2666 lovely colourful pair yellow and blue had to use a 8mm x125 but managed it.

A quick look at one I had not seen Theta Sagittae  lovely triple described in my bok as twin white with a grey dot but I could of sworn there was a yellowish tinge and a pale blue.

Aquila next  tried for NGC 6741 (Phantom streak) but it eluded me.

NGC 6790 could see a blueish mass

NGC 6807 white blob but still saw it.

A few open clusters NGC 6709,6738,6755 and 6756 needed more mag for this one.

M17 Swan Nebula hazy with the UHC

M11 wild duck this is a fabulous cluster a bit more mag brings out sparkling stars.

IC 4756 in Serpens (Graffs Cluster) a first for me this is a lovely cluster plenty of colour.

Andromeda next went to NGC 7662 (Blue Snowball) and looks better in a bigger scope 

36 Andromedae nice yellow twins A bit of Mag needed.

Looking through notes saw (Ghost of the moon) NGC 6718 I was delighted to see this.

M15 cracking globular cluster.

The double cluster NGC 869 and 884 looked brilliant last night.

went for Caroline`s Rose NGC 7789 I had missed it few nights ago with the Tal I know why now had the 25mm in and thought I had missed it again but could just see a patch upped the Mag and wow this is gorgeous.

Beginning of night missed Saturn as it had gone behind some trees. tried M31 this looked a whole lot better whether it was the seeing or bigger scope I dont know. Last on my list was Uranus and Neptune.

Uranus first and hidden behind houses at the back of me Neptune next and I was delighted to see a pale blue dot at X125 I was made up. 

All in all a very fruitful night.

5 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Looks like you had a great night Doug. Well done! :) I still need to see any sign of the Veil still in Cygnus, so I'll try your trick and see how I do.  :) 

I can't see an O-III filter in your kit list Gus but try the UHC instead. It should do the trick. It was a Baader UHC-S filter than first showed me the Veil in an ED100 refractor. Not the strongest UHC filter but it was enough. Without it - nothing !

Sometimes I think people look for the DSO, find traces of it, and then add the filter to get better contrast. This won't work with the Veil - you need the filter installed during the hunt to enable you to see any trace of it even in moderate apertures.

2 hours ago, Paz said:

Nice report thanks for posting. Would you have a rough idea of how dark the sky was for this session. I'm just wondering at what point the veil becomes a worthwhile target.

I could see Ursa minor by eye if that helps.

Great report again Paul.

I was out myself with quite a few of the WADAS crew.

I took in a quick view of Saturn which I revisited an hour later when the optics had cooled and it was a lot better view. Still lots of atmospheric disturbance with it being so low. Could see 6 moons :thumbright:.

The veil was very nice although not as clear, bright and crisp as I've seen it from the good skies of galloway. With the O111 filter you should be abld to see it in light polluted skies.

Looked at quite a few other targets which I didn't write down but may formulate a report at some point.

Good to see you getting out and clear skies for your next trip

:icon_biggrin:

2 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

I could see Ursa minor by eye if that helps.

Thanks, that's slightly darker conditions than the best I get at home, but I will try it the next time I'm out  and see how it goes.

Archived