SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Veil Unveiled (Well, Partly!)

cloudsweeper

Seeing The Veil seems to me to be one of those major milestones, like the Cassini Division and the GRS.  I hadn't managed it so far, but on strong recommendation, decided to buy an OIII filter (Skywatcher variety).

I tried it out with the ST120 about a week ago, and saw......nothing.  That I put down to lack of aperture perhaps, so thought I'd try again this evening using the 8SE, with the sky looking very promising.

Vega appeared about 9.05, then Altair at 9.20, and Saturn at the same time.  I aligned the 8SE on Deneb and Altair, and checked it with M29, the Cooling Tower OC - spot on, its shape unmistakable.  Next, another open cluster, M39 - a nice loose cluster of many bright stars viewed at x48.

M27 The Dumbell Nebula was also spot on, although just a fuzz in a lovely starfield.  It was still a fuzz up to x113, but the contrast was improved with the S/W UHC filter, and even more so with the new OIII.

M57 The Ring Nebula was similar, with the OIII blotting out more of the faint stars.

Now the main target of the evening, The Veil.  I tapped in Caldwell 33 to take me to the Eastern Veil, and, with the OIII, spotted a milky arc, confirmed by the star pattern.  (Still on x48 to optimise FOV.)  What a delight to crack another milestone, although the Western Veil and Pickering's Triangle still eluded me.  I suspect that the Eastern Veil is the densest region, and the others might benefit from darker skies.

Then back indoors after a very satisfying 2.5 hour session on a mild evening under clear skies.  Plus the satisfaction of having made a worthwhile purchase.  Marvellous!

Doug.

Great report Doug :icon_biggrin:

So glad you got the Eastern segment. The Western part and Pickerings Wisp will come I'm sure !

The Eastern part is the brightest and largest segment but it's still a challange and the O-III filter is the key to unlocking it. I don't know if you tried viewing it without the filter but the nebulosity more or less completely disappears.

Very nice report Doug, a satisfying achievement! :)

The Eastern Veil is certainly the most obvious part, although still by no means easy. If you centre the star 52 Cygnus then use averted vision, you should start to see the Western Veil flowing through it. Dark skies and good dark adaptation both help a lot!

I feel you should try again with the 120mm as I have seen all of the east and west with my 115mm, albeit from a very dark area I have here. I do find conditions important for this and if the moon is about forget it. Never had any luck viewing it without a filter though, maybe I do not know what to look for. I didn't see the Wisp until I had my 18inch, all of it looks mighty impressive through that.

Alan

Last night was a really spectacular one. With a 40mm ep and Oiii filter in the 150 , I got most of the lovely curving arc of the Veil. Worth trying these deep sky treasures, especially if they're up +50 degrees altitude above light pollution glow,

Nick.

2 minutes ago, cotterless45 said:

I feel you should try again with the 120mm as I have seen all of the east and west with my 115mm

I agree with this, it is all visible in a 4", including Pickering's wisp/triangle so will be easier in the 120.

Great report! I have never seen the Veil but I don't have a OIII filter. I was trying to see it last night but it wasn't visible for me. I think that your report is the final straw that's going to make me part with some money and get an OIII filter.

7 hours ago, John said:

Great report Doug :icon_biggrin:

So glad you got the Eastern segment. The Western part and Pickerings Wisp will come I'm sure !

The Eastern part is the brightest and largest segment but it's still a challange and the O-III filter is the key to unlocking it. I don't know if you tried viewing it without the filter but the nebulosity more or less completely disappears.

Thanks John!  Yes, it was only the OIII that brought it out - a nice, pale, gently curving arch which more or less fitted into the FOV I was using. 

Not having been greatly impressed with the Neodymium and UHC filters, I must say the OIII has proven to be a good buy, so thanks to you and others for recommending it!

Doug.

6 hours ago, Stu said:

Very nice report Doug, a satisfying achievement! :)

The Eastern Veil is certainly the most obvious part, although still by no means easy. If you centre the star 52 Cygnus then use averted vision, you should start to see the Western Veil flowing through it. Dark skies and good dark adaptation both help a lot!

Thanks Stu!  I do my best concerning adaptation, what with all the bedroom lights, security lights, and solar-powered LEDs stuck on sheds and garden arches.  I find myself walking about with my head permanently twisted away from them all!

Doug.

Best views of The Veil I've ever had, were through a 12 inch Lightbridge, 28mm ES 68 and a 2 inch Astronomik O-III.

Absolutely STUNNING !!!!

The part that goes through 52 Cygnii looked like a pointy hollow tube, and the witches broom following behind it was amazing. I then switched over to the other part and was also blown away. My next filter is going to be an Astronomik. I liked it even better than a Premium Lumicon O-III.

Wait until you see it in one of THESE filters on a magically clear night...you'll lose your mind !!! :)

Cheers!

26 minutes ago, David Levi said:

Great report! I have never seen the Veil but I don't have a OIII filter. I was trying to see it last night but it wasn't visible for me. I think that your report is the final straw that's going to make me part with some money and get an OIII filter.

Do it, David!  I must admit I was hesitant to splash out 60 quid, but am now very glad I did.  Only too happy to encourage people's spending!

Doug.

11 minutes ago, TheLookingGlass said:

Best views of The Veil I've ever had, were through a 12 inch Lightbridge, 28mm ES 68 and a 2 inch Astronomik O-III.

Absolutely STUNNING !!!!

The part that goes through 52 Cygnii looked like a pointy hollow tube, and the witches broom following behind it was amazing. I then switched over to the other part and was also blown away. My next filter is going to be an Astronomik. I liked it even better than a Premium Lumicon O-III.

Wait until you see it in one of THESE filters on a magically clear night...you'll lose your mind !!! :)

Cheers!

Too late. 

Doug.

Well Doug, I've just pushed the button and have bought an Astronomik OIII filter. Beans on toast tonight for tea. Let this be a warning to everyone - The filter will arrive in a few days time so I've probably put the mockers on the weather after that. Get your observing in now while you can!

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I agree with this, it is all visible in a 4", including Pickering's wisp/triangle so will be easier in the 120.

Stu,

How come something I posted is credited to Nick (cotterless) on your post, don't matter at all but odd.

Alan

1 minute ago, alan potts said:

Stu,

How come something I posted is credited to Nick (cotterless) on your post, don't matter at all but odd.

Alan

Very weird, may Nick  has hacked your account? ;);) 

Seemed to work properly this time.

I did a little presentation on the Veil Nebula to my astro society a couple of weeks back.

During my research I found some interesting stuff about Pickering's Wisp - it really ought to be called Fleming's Wisp becase it was discovered by Williamina Fleming, who also discovered the Horsehead Nebula. She worked under Pickering at the Harvard College Obsevatory and back then it was customary for the director of the facility to get the naming credit for discoveries :rolleyes2:

The whole story of "Pickerings Harem" at HCO is an interesting one I think :icon_biggrin::

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williamina_Fleming

Interesting last night here - cloud with some clear patches, showing breathtakingly good transparency. I set my 15x70s up on a large photo tripod (Unitron) and waited for the clear patches to cross Cygnus; no difficulty at all in seeing both W and E parts of the Veil, first time for me from this location I think with bins and no filtration (I added my UHC to one EP of the bins and it was a lot clearer of course.)

Chris

9 hours ago, chiltonstar said:

Interesting last night here - cloud with some clear patches, showing breathtakingly good transparency. I set my 15x70s up on a large photo tripod (Unitron) and waited for the clear patches to cross Cygnus; no difficulty at all in seeing both W and E parts of the Veil, first time for me from this location I think with bins and no filtration (I added my UHC to one EP of the bins and it was a lot clearer of course.)

Chris

I've just once managed to see the E segment with my 11x70's, no filter. That was an exceptional night for here. Well done for seeing 2 segments with bins ! :icon_biggrin:

Archived