Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing in the summer

GavStar

When I started this hobby I had a preconceived idea that it was a winter hobby due to the long nights. So in previous summers my kit stayed basically unused. However this summer I've been using my kit more often than at any time in the past (spurred on by attending Walton Astro club meetings and also getting some time under lovely dark iow skies). 

And im having the most fun as well. Being warm really helps and in mid August the skies are getting relatively dark. Lots of lovely stuff to view as well. Previously I'd focussed on planets and m42 but now I'm looking at many more DSOs and double stars.

Tonight was another good night despite viewing in light polluted SW London skies. For the first time I set up my Astro Physics 130GTX and my Tak FC100DF side by side. I used my new goto mount with the Tak to find the objects and then used the Finder on the Tak for easy line up with the AP. Very interesting to compare these two scopes side by side. Aperture clearly showing its benefits on objects such as M13 and the double cluster. The AP is an impressive scope. Hopefully going to take these to dark skies later this week.

Looking forward to more observing in the summer!

38 minutes ago, GavStar said:

When I started this hobby I had a preconceived idea that it was a winter hobby due to the long nights. So in previous summers my kit stayed basically unused. However this summer I've been using my kit more often than at any time in the past (spurred on by attending Walton Astro club meetings and also getting some time under lovely dark iow skies). 

And im having the most fun as well. Being warm really helps and in mid August the skies are getting relatively dark. Lots of lovely stuff to view as well. Previously I'd focussed on planets and m42 but now I'm looking at many more DSOs and double stars.

Tonight was another good night despite viewing in light polluted SW London skies. For the first time I set up my Astro Physics 130GTX and my Tak FC100DF side by side. I used my new goto mount with the Tak to find the objects and then used the Finder on the Tak for easy line up with the AP. Very interesting to compare these two scopes side by side. Aperture clearly showing its benefits on objects such as M13 and the double cluster. The AP is an impressive scope. Hopefully going to take these to dark skies later this week.

Looking forward to more observing in the summer!

Try M92 in Vega M15 in Pegasus and NGC 7789 (Caroline`s Rose) In Cassiopeia, cracking objects this time of year.

I totally agree Gavin. I've been enjoying the late summer skies for about ten years now, largely started by my camping holidays down in Dorset and Devon. My best observing of the year occurs when I'm away, and Cygnus is probably my favourite constellation, because of the Veil, NAN and also because of the beautiful Milky Way which runs through it with the Cygnus rift very apparent under dark skies. Lovely stuff!

Skies certainly are getting darker, and there are some spectacular views to be had. Last night, just sailing along the milkyway from Perseus to Hercules using my FC100 and a 35mm Eudiascopic eyepiece left me spellbound. At times, even when looking at what first appears to be the blackness of space, it soon becomes apparent that everything is speckled with starlight just at the grasp of my telescope. There are some wonderful dso's along the way with the double cluster in Perseus being my favourite. M56 in Cygnus always stops me in my tracks as in the 4" it initially looks like a comet, that is until I stop and study it. Increasing the power resolves some of the objects true nature as speckled star light surrounds a nebulous core. On M13 and M92 increasing the power darkens the sky background enabling both globular to resolve quite impressively. I love summer nights when it eventually stops raining! :icon_biggrin:

In addition to the glorious views of eg Cygnus in Summer, there are often good views to be had of many doubles; the warm evenings can deliver amazingly good seeing, something that the twinkly nights of Winter doesn't! There is the wildlife as well - Summer stargazing is often livened up by a few moths, bats and the odd vixen!

Chris

It's worked the other way around for me. I didn't come into astronomy with any preconceptions or knowledge on when was good to view. As a result, I just carried on viewing throughout the summer. This has been really good for me because it's acted as a great live demonstration of the benefits of dark skies. I first saw the Veil in May but then didn't see it again until mid July despite multiple attempts. The skies just got too light from my garden. Once it became visible again, I saw the view of it improve week to week as skies darkened. 

I've been carrying out the same experiment with M31. The extent is increasing with darker skies and M110, which was invisible to start with, is now a faint great fuzzy patch. 

My summer viewing has been a great learning experience. I might not have seen objects at their best but I've certainly found lots to see and had a good time doing it :)

Archived