Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

7mm upgrade for 100mm Bins.

Wobbly Bob

I aquired a pair of 7mm Altair Lightwave Premium Long Eye Relief Eyepiece 68° FOV this morning for my APM ed 100mm binoclars. 1st impression they are huge, twice the length of the supplied 18mm but not to heavy though, the binoculars still seem to be reasonably balanced. After waiting an hour for the clouds to disappear and the sports ground floodlights to switch of I started to observe. The view through the 7mm was quite dark plus the stars were wizzing past the FOV. The other thing I noticed was the slightest touch sent the outfit shaking, fortunately due to the heavy tripod the view dampened down quickly.

The great thing about giant binoculars  is that you can use one side with 18mm as a finder scope and the other for the 7mm. What are my initial thoughts, well to be fair I was just checking these out on any stars that i could find so will have to spend a couple of hours finding suitable targets to test these eyepieces out.

Archived