Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M27 or M57

It looks like Friday and Saturday night I will have 2 clear night in a row and I can't decide on which target to choose, M27 or M57. I am pretty fond of these 2 targets as they are the first ever DSOs I have ever seen with my telescope. I had a 4 months break from AP (only started AP last December) and having a few upgrades done to my equipment I'm very curious of how things will work. My view is quite restricted so I will only have around 3 hours of exposure time for each night for any of the targets, starting at around 10:30pm, until they roll behind the trees. The mount is freshly hypertuned and I'm looking forward to see how it performs. I live on the edge of a red zone, reason why I will be using a lp filter. I will be guiding with my lacerta mgen and PA with a polemaster. I need to remember to check the collimation on the OTA as I found the center spot on the primary wasn't really centered so I had to make a new one. Will be using APT to capture the frames. Bahtinov mask and autofocuser to get the focus spot on.

Hypertuned EQ6, SW200p with a dslr(eos 700d), mpcc mark III and idas lps-d1 clip filter, oag and lacerta mgen.

I would like to go for the same target on both nights to capture as much data as possible. I don't know what exposure to go for (was thinking of 600sec) and ISO 400 to keep the noise down.

I will be taking flats, dark flats and bias frames. No darks as I will be dithering 12px between each frame.

I would like to start shooting when the target has passed the meridian so I don't waste any time on recentering the target when doing a meridian flip and finding and callibrating on a new guide star (not that experienced) even though I'm using astrotortilla to plate solve.

I'm still learning the east heavy off ballancing the mount. From what I read I have to make the mount a bit heavy on the rising side or the side that is on the east of the meridian in RA and a bit heavy on the camera side in DEC. Please, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Could you please advise me on what target to choose and maybe what exposure and ISO. And if I forgot something could you please tell me what it is.

I'm so very excited to go back in to AP and especially on one of these 2 targets as I am pretty sure I will miss something.

Thanks

Emil

Archived