Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mains Power to EQ5 Motors

JohnSadlerAstro

My EQ5 is 12v Just check yours I have looked on FLO and they dont appear to have any 6v power supplies which makes me suspicious. I was told it was down to amperage when i looked for one for mine nI went for a 5amp one as I would run a dew heater off it as well. If you are running just the mount it needs tip positive 6v 3amps should suffice.

zsp7C.png

1 minute ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The EQ5 dual axis motors don't draw as much current as the 12v Synscan versions so it should work.

Is there any chance of damage to the motors if there isn't enough current, or will they just not run properly? Adapter doesn't cost much at all, but I don't want to have to buy new motors coz it didn't quite work. ;) 

I have an EQ-5 with RA motor drive (it's not the GoTo version which uses 12 volts). While the D-cells needed to be replaced with annoying frequency, a small lead-acid battery lasts for many nights before requiring recharge. Just my opinion, but with such a low power demand (it only has to track, not slew) unless it's a fixed observatory installation the extra safety and potential portability of a 6v battery is preferable to a mains supply with the high-voltage hazard and trailing cable.

You can power these mounts from the 5.2V you get from mobile phone power banks, the SW handset does not contain any protection devices or voltage regulators, they are very cheap so you can have a pocketful in reserve if you want, you have to make up a lead but it is quite simple using an old USB cable and a plug fitted to the other end.

Alan

Archived