Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Favourite summer DSO?

eli71

Whiich is your favourite  summer DS0?  Always talking in visual. Mine M11"Wild Duck Cluster". Although I don't see any duck, I think it's wonderful seeing so many stars twinkling, even with a small telescope as mine. Which one is your favourite?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rather than one... I really enjoy the plethora of nebulae at this time of year.  So many to see!  But I particularly like M8 - for me it's the summer equivalent of M42 with a large intricate complex of bright nebulosity visible.  It does need a particularly clear and transparent night though to get the best out of it with it being low.

Omega, hands down. Looks fabulous without the O111, mind blowing with. 

A fairly elusive target now, due to lack of decent horizon, I have lost 30° of the sky...

M8 is a close second and M57 third as I am determined to find the central star!

At this time of year I do a little tour in a (more or less) straight vertical line.  Starting at the bottom:

M8 - Lagoon Neb

M20 - Triffid Neb M20

M24 - Sagittarius Star Cloud

M18 - Open Cluster M18

M17 - Swan (Omega) Neb

M16 - Eagle Neb

M11 - Wild Duck M11

Of those, the Sagittarius Star Cloud is probably my favourite - extremely pretty and also mind boggling - thousands of stars, clusters and nebulae in another arm of the Milky Way Galaxy, seen through a chance  hole in the interstellar dust between galactic limbs, all in an area just 1.5 degrees wide.

Interesting, so in visual more than anything else Nebulae are the favorite objects, rather than star clusters and galaxies.:happy72: I can also see most of the answers, if not all, were from owners of big telescopes, dobson and so, and using filters. Nobody with a medium small telescope has a favorite DSO? :)  I know is not  easy, but nobody? 

Just now, eli71 said:

Interesting, so in visual more than anything else Nebulae are the favorite objects, rather than star clusters and galaxies.:happy72: I can also see most of the answers, if not all were from owners big telescope, dobson and so, and using filters. Nobody with a medium small telescope has a favorite DSO? :)  I know is not  easy, but nobody? 

I'm only using a 130mm reflector. I think that counts as small or at the very least medium  :)

On 8/15/2017 at 07:46, Littleguy80 said:

The Lagoon, M8, jumps out as one that I have great memories of seeing this summer. 75x mag through a UHC gave the best results in my scope. 

2 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

I'm only using a 130mm reflector. I think that counts as small or at the very least medium  :)

Good to know, :)  !!!  I thought UHC filter was good only for big ones. 

On 14/08/2017 at 18:39, eli71 said:

Mine M11"Wild Duck Cluster". Although I don't see any duck,

This one took me ages to understand too. It looks like the V formations you see with ducks or geese migrating, see if you can see this next time.

14 minutes ago, eli71 said:

Nobody with a medium small telescope has a favorite DSO?

My answer would be the Veil, and I most often use a 4" refractor. The Veil can be stunning in a large scope, but you only see  small parts of it in the eyepiece at once. In a smallish frac you can fit the whole complex in at once. It is a much more subtle view, but one I think is amazing and never tire of viewing when I get under a dark sky.

10 minutes ago, eli71 said:

Good to know, :)  !!!  I thought UHC filter was good only for big ones. 

I have a UHC and OIII filter. Both of which get plenty of use. Just don't push the magnification too high as you end up with a small exit pupil and everything gets very dark! Not in a good way!

I've only been to a dark site once so it's hard for me to choose a favorite. I was all over the place that night. I was floored the first time I saw the Trifid Nebula, M20. I'd never seen it before and I was actually able to make out its structure even without a filter. I've yet to see the Veil Nebula that everyone regards so highly, but I've also yet to try. I'll add it to my list, but I might have to wait until I get an OIII filter. There are so many other things on my list to view. All that being said, my eye is always drawn back to the Ring Nebula, M57, though so I would have to say that's my current favorite. It's bright enough that I can see from my light polluted backyard and it looks amazing at a dark site. I don't think I've seen enough to declare any one object my favorite though.

Out recently with only some 2x54 and 7x35 bins... moving up through saggitarius (which I never normally get to see as it's hidden behind trees). Rich field of loads of stars and asterisms and hints of dark nebulae. Need to get to a darker site to see what else I can weedle out. Normally use an 80mm or 8".... not huge by any means. Globs are nice, plenty of them about at the moment.

PEterW

M13 is one of my top three DSOs, but as it is visible from Spring through to Autumn I didn't consider it a summer DSO specifically.  When I think of Summer DSOs I think of the Southern Treasures which you can only see at this time of year - as per my post above.

Archived