Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

x390 with a 6mm eyepiece. How often?

Do you have the capability of going to x390 and if so how often do you get to use it in the UK climate ?

I am toying with idea of a 6mm plossl experiment !  but would that be a  step too far for a 2350mm fl,  F/10 (9.25Evo) giving x390ish mag. :icon_scratch:

11 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

very good nights, and lately in the UK they are getting more rare than unicorn sightings! ;) 

Yep, and hen's teeth !

But thanks,  good to know that it wouldnt be a total no-no then, (and £25 is affordable!), how many times have you been tempted to use it in say the last year or last winter ?

2 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

Yep, and hen's teeth !

But thanks,  good to know that it wouldnt be a total no-no then, (and £25 is affordable!), how many times have you been tempted to use it in say the last year or last winter ?

Hmmmnn, think I reached that magnification at least a couple of times last winter, and maybe once around springtime too. 

I use that sort of power with my 12" dob from time to time on the Moon (for fine details) and the smaller planets. I go there with my refractors on tight double stars as well. Given that a 6mm plossl is a low cost eyepiece then it's probably worth having in the tool box.

I need shorter FL eyepieces than that to get up there - I've a number of options from 5mm down to 2mm.

I would say "a few times" a year, several times recently because of the warm evenings and excellent seeing. It does depend on what you're looking at of course - not much use for Jupiter, but ok for Saturn, Uranus and Neptune and multiple stars.

Chris

Thanks @John   @chiltonstar   @Knighty2112 all very interesting, yep, I have in mind the moon and multiples.

Not so much the planets considering their position over the next few years :( and anyway seen them before in better circumstance !

Hmmm, that is a new question that springs to mind - am I right to think that high mag falls off a cliff in poor (low down) atmosphere quicker than lower power, or do they all fall in proportion if you see what I mean. All a bit academic perhaps on the basis of at £25 get one and see ! :):)

So thanks guys, not a total no-no/waste  is what I needed to know :thumbsup:

Archived