Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sitech tracking rate query

I slewed for some Solar imaging yesterday and it occurred to me that I didn't change the tracking rate of my Sitech servo II.  On my AZ-EQ6 I do this in EQMOD, but is this taken care of via CdC with the Sitech controller?  

I did have a quick look but couldn't see anywhere immediately evident that said I was now tracking at solar rate.

You were likely still at sidereal but the difference really is small, I have a small goto that only has sidereal might have lunar but certainly does not have Solar - as far as it is concerned the sun does not exist in any form (Meade safety) - I have taken it to a solar viewing day and on the best alignment I managd the sun remained in view for 2 hours.

Might be wrong but one rotation of the earth is 360 degrees in sidereal terms, one rotation sort of Solar (midday to midday) is about 361 degrees - orbital movement. If that is correct the Sidereal and Solar differ by 1 degrees rotation in 24 hours. Not a lot. Actually I would seriously expect that on some mounts you select Sidereal or Solar but get the same.

If you had been using TheSky to control your mount, it would have automatically set the rate for you but you can do this manually:-

Have a look in the subdirectory C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SiTech\SiTechExe on your PC and run the script SolarRate.vbs to run at solar tracking rate. You'll need to run SiderealRate.vbs to return to Sidereal rate.

Archived