Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another allsky camera build

Jonk

I recently bought an Altair GPCam 2 mono for lunar and solar imaging, and remembered that I had a CS lens somewhere that I bought cheap ages ago to try on an imaging source camera.

IMG_0605.thumb.JPG.65351d0d3a7114ba433e71504404de79.JPGIMG_0604.thumb.JPG.6e9a1845d2dfcbe89965079fe0a1ab44.JPGIMG_0603.thumb.JPG.f5f251072f21670c8c5ccd9ed438aa02.JPG

It fit fine and I put it outside a couple of nights ago to test.

Using Altair Capture, I set it to 20s exposures on loop and literally didn't do anything else apart from screw the lens on and set infinite focus. The focus is sprung loaded so can easily tip when pressed, hence the blurred stars on 1 side.

The result was ok, and here's a short timelapse at 30fps (1 hour of images in total), no other editing done. One thing is clear is the need to set autoexposure for when the clouds do roll in, to prevent overexposure. Flats and darks will help I suspect.

30fps.mp4

I guess it clouding over was a good thing as it highlighted this straight away.

I was hoping to capture a Perseid but nope, just planes, satellites and clouds!

I'm going to build an all sky camera with dome, dew heater, light pollution filter and fixed fanless mini PC in the obsy to run it remotely, switching on when required. I may also install a small electronic rotary cover to cover the lens when not in use, to prevent possible solar burn on the chip.

The other this I will do is make it 'plug and play' in the sense that I can undo a door underneath and pull the camera out for use on the scopes when required. This should be quite easy until I decide to fit a camera permanently, which I probably will - a.

I've ordered a dome and ABS project box and will probably order an Arecont 1.55mm f2 IR corrected fish-eye lens, as suggested here -> http://skyinspector.co.uk/allsky-camera-ii

Also, thanks to @steppenwolf for this thread ->

and @Gina for her multiple threads and any others I've read.

I'll post further updates once I receive the parts and start to put something together.

• 3 months later...

I've moved on a bit since I started this thread.

I now have a ZWO ASI270MM and 170 degree lens, and it's working very well with a program called AllSkEye.

I've set it up to take an image every 30 seconds, with automatic exposure up to 20 seconds based on the previous image levels.

It saves to a network location and I've written a small webpage to display the image every 30 seconds automatically. I figured this would be the most lightweight way of doing things, as I plan to put a small PC into the box for a standalone all sky cam.

I've also cut down a cheap LP filter and fitted this inside the camera, replacing the original sensor glass. This seems to work really well.

This is the view right now.

AllSkyEyeLatest.thumb.jpg.69d7d54cfc825a9280bb3352f1c891a3.jpg

• 2 months later...

So, more money has been spent on this! I now have a 180 degree Fujinon fisheye lens which nearly covers the ZWO 290 chip, but not quite at the top and bottom.

It's being tested at the moment and it will suit me until I can find an affordable square chip that's 5-6mm each side, but that's not likely.

The lens was about £45 from a well known auction website 'as new' and I'm pleased with it.

image.thumb.png.ebe9e88d89683aa46efdc862b599239d.png

image.thumb.png.95a92fc81e55c8cda632c226263ebdbc.png

Interesting to see the difference when you changed the lens with the before and after video. One of my projects is to create one of these for occasional use rather than leave it running all the time. I've got an old camera 28mm lens I'm first going to try with that as I have it. I've already downloaded allskyeye just haven't tested it yet. Your latest image is very clear.

I do like reading progress threads on here, so that's why I also try to do them.

Everything in this game is expensive but the lens was actually a good price compared to other options. It does make all the difference for sure.

The camera wasn't chosen for all sky it was chosen for high speed lunar, solar and plantery as it was at a good price when I found it.

I'd like a square sensor for the all sky, or bigger than the 290 but the next level up is £600 plus.

Mine is also a planet lunar cam but I'll see what I can manage inexpensively. I think what you have now takes a great image and that sure would be a big cost jump to see other improvement. I've seen a door spy glass used as the lens at the real budget end.

I'll start a project thread when I have something to share.

On 2/9/2018 at 19:49, Jonk said:

So, more money has been spent on this! I now have a 180 degree Fujinon fisheye lens which nearly covers the ZWO 290 chip, but not quite at the top and bottom.

It's being tested at the moment and it will suit me until I can find an affordable square chip that's 5-6mm each side, but that's not likely.

The lens was about £45 from a well known auction website 'as new' and I'm pleased with it.

image.thumb.png.ebe9e88d89683aa46efdc862b599239d.png

image.thumb.png.95a92fc81e55c8cda632c226263ebdbc.png

Hi,

I asked on another thread but am struggling to find the right adapter so that I can screw the Fujinon lens into my 1.25" guide camera, can you advise where I can get an adapter from, I think it is a 1.25 to C Adapter? Thanks.

If it's the lens in the image above, I guessed a 5 mm spacer was required but it's actually more like 6.4mm. To bring it to focus I have a friend with a lathe who is going to make a couple of spacers as he's just bought the same lens for his zwo camera (120 I think).

I read a thread on here that said the same thing, a custom spacer was required.

Thanks everyone for their help, seems like I am eating humble pie again :-(

The parfocal ring was locked in the precise place that the CS adapter joined the camera, so it looked like it ddn't have a join, as soon as I removed the parfocal ring I could see that the adapter was made up in two parts, unscrewed it and the lens screwed on as it should, sorry to have wasted anyone's time.

Walks away with egg all over his face....:-(

• 5 months later...

Update - I've now bought another ZWO, this time an ASI178MC.

With this lens I get 180 degree view and early testing on the bedroom floor shows promising results!

More to follow...

6 minutes ago, Gina said:

Yes, the ASI178 size sensor is ideal for the Fujinon fish-eye lens.

It sure is! I was torn between this and the 385 as they were nearly the same price.

The 385 has larger pixels but less resolution, so as during the night 30+ seconds exposures are needed really, I figured I'd rather have a sharper image resolution wise than a lower res / shorter exposure image.

Time will tell but so far indoors, it's looking good!

I'm using an ASI185MC which covers all my sky (trees to the north on rising ground limit the view).  It's the earlier version of the 385 and I use 60s exposures at night with a gain of 150.  As you probably know, the 385 has twice the sensitivity of the 185 they say.  The reason I used the 185 was that I already had it.

Archived