DSO - M92

Date - 12/08/17

Time - 23:30

Lunar Phase - 75% Waning Gibbous

Seeing - Excellent 

Equipment - Skywatcher 12" dobsonian.

Eyepieces - Explore Scientific 14mm 100

Additional info - 

Lovely night by all accounts, had a good look at Saturn could clearly see The Cassini division and 2 of the moons.

Maybe even saw some detail on the northern belt but I couldn't be sure still the seeing and atmosphere was still and I allowed the telescope 1h 30m to cool so I wasn't disappointed ?

The wife came out for an hour or so again to have a look at perseids, it was lovely lying down on a blanket in the back garden watching a couple every minute shoot by above us.

We then had a couple of hot chocoates with marshmallows then had a look at some of her favourites (and mine) M13-M27-M57 and a quick look at Saturn before she called it a night.

Finally onto the hunt of a tricky little Globular cluster M92 I tried to find this last time I was out but unsuccessfully this time perseverance/luck payed off.

I have to admit I did wonder how I missed it last time but anyway first thing I noticed was how lovely and dense the core was then developed into many stars.

The star field wasn't that impressive but the signature stars were impressive the longer I looked (1 hour) the more I saw chain like stars coming off mainly north/south truly beautiful definitely up there with M13 and one I can't wait to show people when I'm showing them M13.

I may show M92 first though so I don't disappoint ?IMG_0154.thumb.JPG.2a08780f1df11a1ede24f1a979b20e5d.JPG

Clear skies ✨????

25 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

Great report and sketch.

It seems a shame M92 always gets overlooked by its more famous companion, if M13 wasn't nearby I'm sure it would be more appreciated.

It is such a shame, I will be making an effort with it though if I'm having a quick look at M13 I will definitely drop in on M92 ?

Thank you astro I'm really happy with the sketch ?

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Really nice report Richard, your sketch is fantastic!

M92 is usually unimpressive from my location but with some aperture and a reasonable sky it is very nice indeed.

Thank you stu I was very impressed myself I think the 12" dob is paying of every DSO I look at seems brighter and more defined ?

1 hour ago, Astro Imp said:

Great report and sketch.

It seems a shame M92 always gets overlooked by its more famous companion, if M13 wasn't nearby I'm sure it would be more appreciated.

I use the date " 1392 " as a reminder of M92 being nearby ?

14 hours ago, N3ptune said:

Very nice your M92 sketch I recognise it from my last observation. Plthough with 8" I can see a bit less stars overt the main cluster, it seems you can see them with your 12" instrument. Again very nice cluster!

I was surprised how much I could see definitely one of my favourites and a cluster I will be revisiting every time I have a look at M13 ?

• 1 month later...

Archived