Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Perseids - I saw 6, captured none and saw some clouds

Last night was a bit of a mixed bag in West Sussex.

I managed to persuade my long-suffering wife to join me out on the patio with a couple of sunbeds facing northwards. I did enjoy the six I saw (to Janie's four!) but the viewing conditions were not good as the attached video confirms. Janie is used to my night-time excursions to the garden but her comment that this was more like a Meteor Drop than a shower was difficult to argue! I'm pleased to have read that others fared much better than we did ...... :icon_biggrin:

We had a meteor-watch in Shropshire under a clear sky from 22.10 till just after midnight. We counted 102 'shooting stars', (at least 90 were Persieds). Three, in particular, were very bright, and golden in colour. Another was green! We logged over fifty in the first hour.
We congratulated ourselves on a successful evening! I'm back out there tonight, it's forecast another clear sky window.

I was with none astronomers, and they were loving it, but they were counting meteors that weren't Persieds. At least, they were going the wrong way, so they couldn't be Persieds, could they?
So, a question. If you're counting the Persieds, and you see a 'shooting star' travel towards  Perseus, Is it the done thing to discount that one, and only count the ones coming from Perseus?
I kept saying "you shouldn't count that one" and they were like, "shut up, you nerd!".

Fab night though!

5 minutes ago, Swithin StCleeve said:

So, a question. If you're counting the Persieds, and you see a 'shooting star' travel towards  Perseus, Is it the done thing to discount that one, and only count the ones coming from Perseus?

I'd be discounting those. I am amazed at how frequently I see meteors on non-meteor-shower nights and I never cease to marvel at them.

1 hour ago, steppenwolf said:

I'd be discounting those. I am amazed at how frequently I see meteors on non-meteor-shower nights and I never cease to marvel at them.

Very true.  Some 'normal' viewing nights I have seen up to a dozen random objects.

We had a mixed bag eventualllllllllly but was rewarded with a "smoker", never seen one ever before but my grandson and I were awestruck.I think having the moon behind the house excentuated it.Bolide I believe.

I had virtually clear skies, but I spent the evening learning more about guiding and not enough time looking up! I saw about 6-8 meteors, one bright and one a half-decent fireball that had a big blue-white flash around 3/4 of the way long its length. I'm sure I heard it but surely as the sound matched it flaring across the sky that means I imagined it! I took 95 manual 30-second frames with the 10D but didn't get anything more than a couple of aircraft, a satellite and two very faint traces, one slightly wiggly, that may be meteors.

23 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I'm sure I heard it but surely as the sound matched it flaring across the sky that means I imagined it!

I have since discovered you CAN hear meteors. The theory is that a biggy causes LF radio in the audio spectrum that causes things like grass and tree leaves to vibrate.

Remarkable!

Archived