Narrowband

Newquay and Surrounding Area

DavidJM

Hi all

I'm quite new to astronomy and also find that most astronomy clubs meet during the week when I'm typically away for work. So I thought I would start a thread for anyone wanting to chat about their experiences in Cornwall, anyone wanting to help newbies out like me, offer observation lists, recommendations for observing sites etc. With a focus on this wonderful county I call home. Would love to hear from anyone like me who may not have got to the stage of joining a club but has a buzz for the hobby and wants to share their experiences

After what seems like weeks of cloudy skies I managed to find M29 in Cygnus last night with my Heritage 100P, rather pleased!

2 hours ago, bottletopburly said:

Have you tried the  roseland observatory at St Stephen, for info

Hi, I follow their fb page but haven't visited yet, need a combination of meet date, clear skies and not working, have you been?

22 hours ago, ronin said:

http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/Clubs/Default.aspx?CountyId=18

Looks like Callington has ceased.

The Roseland one check out how they operate seem to think it is not quite as a "normal" club.

The Tolcarn one looks different.

I could walk to where Kernow Astonomers meet but its usually in the week I think when I'm away, have heard they have nights at carewas at weekends sometimes, anyone been to one?

Did you look at the Kernow Astonomers webpage, well the one before it on that link?

I noticed that it had to be written by someone that was unaware of the meaning of Kernow, it said:   Address: Kernow, Cornwall. :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

So it is at Cornwall, in Cornwall. Someone should notify the club list maintainers that the location is St Columb Major.

I see they have a public viewing night on Sept 2nd. Seems it could be worth a visit to get a feel for them and ask a few questions.

A bit like yourself I am always a bit puzzled why clubs meet for the observing during the week, one club around here have applied thought and arrange theirs for a Friday and/or Saturday. Their thinking being Friday if clear otherwise hope Saturday is better. The remainder pick Mondays and Wednesdays which is when people have work commitments the next day.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ronin said:

Did you look at the Kernow Astonomers webpage, well the one before it on that link?

I noticed that it had to be written by someone that was unaware of the meaning of Kernow, it said:   Address: Kernow, Cornwall. :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

So it is at Cornwall, in Cornwall. Someone should notify the club list maintainers that the location is St Columb Major.

I see they have a public viewing night on Sept 2nd. Seems it could be worth a visit to get a feel for them and ask a few questions.

A bit like yourself I am always a bit puzzled why clubs meet for the observing during the week, one club around here have applied thought and arrange theirs for a Friday and/or Saturday. Their thinking being Friday if clear otherwise hope Saturday is better. The remainder pick Mondays and Wednesdays which is when people have work commitments the next day.

I hadn't noticed the obvious location error, surprised a member hasn't picked that up, going to look at the 2nd Sept meet, it's at a local campsite, as you I've never understood so many meet in the week yet want more members

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had some clear sky Thursday and with new right angled finder scope for my 8" out in the garden I went. First problem, which I first encountered going from naked eye to 4", wow! So many stars! Took me a while to adapt. Continued focussing on the summer triangle, nice split of Albireo really showing the colours! Continued search for the dumbbell with help from left at orion and finally found it! With light pollution from the dreaded yellow street light across the road still managed to get a decent smudge view, will be heading for darker skies now I have a handle on its location. Overall a success for a newbie, think a telrad might be on my list of goodies too.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 30/01/2018 at 14:17, LightBucket said:

Hi,

we are trying to sell our house up here in the middle of the country, to mover to Newquay (or somewhere near), so will keep an eye on this thread with interest... :)

Hi

How did you get on with moving, did you make it to Newquay

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.