Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Dec

Bubble Nebula

Hi here's an image I took over the last couple of weeks. Its 30 x 10mins of Ha and 9 x 10mins each of RGB. I'm relatively new to AP so still getting to grips with everything (especially processing).

I've read on here that using Ha as a lum file is not advisable so would really appreciate any advice on combing Ha with RGB in this type of image. Would adding Lum, Oiii or S data help.

All feedback would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Dec

HaRGB - Bubble Nebula NGC7635.jpg

• Like 9

Looks nice. How you blend Ha with RGB depends on your processing software. If you use PS, you blend it with red. For PixInsight, have a look at the tutorial from lightvortexastronomy.com

2 hours ago, wimvb said:

Looks nice. How you blend Ha with RGB depends on your processing software. If you use PS, you blend it with red. For PixInsight, have a look at the tutorial from lightvortexastronomy.com

Thanks Wim, just had a look at lightvortexastronomy, looks great. I use PI so this tutorial will be perfect.

Dec

3 hours ago, wimvb said:

Hi Wim, followed the 'Enhancing Red with Ha' tutorial. Its already made quite a difference. Thanks for the help, will have a bit of fun working through the tutorials.

Ha(R)GB Bubble Nebula .jpg

• Like 4

Lovely shape in the bubble but it looks like your red or Ha isn't registered correctly. I'm seeing it shifted in 300 degrees direction. You might want to check your star alignment again.

2 minutes ago, Filroden said:

Lovely shape in the bubble but it looks like your red or Ha isn't registered correctly. I'm seeing it shifted in 300 degrees direction. You might want to check your star alignment again.

Thanks for feedback I'll check the star alignment. Very new to this so appreciate any help.

32 minutes ago, Filroden said:

Hi filroden, tried it again. Does this look any better for alignment? 

Ha(R)GB Bubble Nebula2 .jpg

Yes. And now they are aligned I'd take a look at the colour balance. Your background sky has a lot of blue/green. Did you run the background neutralisation process?

No thanks, I'll run that now.

any other tips/feedback are really appreciated.

1 hour ago, Filroden said:

Yes. And now they are aligned I'd take a look at the colour balance. Your background sky has a lot of blue/green. Did you run the background neutralisation process?

Hi I've used the coloursaturation process. Is there a better method for adjusting colour balance?

Ha(R)GB Bubble Nebula3 .jpg

On 8/13/2017 at 19:42, Dec said:

I've used the coloursaturation process. Is there a better method for adjusting colour balance?

I normally use the following for colour balance:

• Dynamic Background Extraction to remove any gradients (including colour gradients)
  • Background Neutralisation
  • Colour Calibration

With the latest release of PixInsight there is a new colour calibration called Photometric Colour Calibration which I will experiment with the next time I collect data.

I'd recommend the tutorials here as a good place for advice on processing: http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorials.html

I also bought this book after it was released: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/inside-pixinsight-book.html

I'm more a cook than a chef when it comes to processing. I can just about follow the recipe but don't ask me to explain how it works or how you could adjust it!

Thanks for the information. I'll have a look at the tutorials and the PI book.

I haven't done a lot of processing. To be honest it's taken me a long time tweaking my setup just to gather reasonable quality subs.

Really appreciate all your help