Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_nlc.gif

Sign in to follow this  
Stub Mandrel

Tip for when you start guiding

Stub Mandrel    5,044

When you start taking longer subs with guiding, you will probably find that some of them are a bit less than perfect.

Using sigma kappa stacking in Deep Sky Stacker or a similar program can help correct this.

One bit of advice I have just worked out for myself is, now you are taking longer subs, bear in mind you still need about 18 or so so that you can stack in this way.

An hour of 5-minute subs is only 12 of them and you can't use sigma kappa.... as I have just discovered.

Stub Mandrel    5,044
19 minutes ago, wxsatuser said:

Winsorized Sigma Clipping in PI works ok on 10 subs.

I think DSS is just too cautious, if seems to need >12. Really annoying when you have 16 subs.

I have found a bodge - add four unrelated subs of similar length and the same size, DSS can't register them so it ignores them, but still applies sigma kappa to the end result!

ollypenrice    16,497

Sigma in AstroArt works well with fewer than 10 subs. DSS is free but....  I stack and calibrate in AstroArt.

Olly

Stub Mandrel    5,044

As it's a statistical process, it has to be a pay off between the minimum number of subs and the risk of deleting a genuine feature.

With only 12 subs to play with I definitely saw a better result by tricking DSS into using it.