Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_nb_dso.jpg.eb6cd158659331fd13e71470af6da381.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Ouroboros

Perseids in Cornwall 12 August 2017

Ouroboros    784

Sky cleared about 10 pm despite disappointing BBC and Clear Outside forecasts.

Meteor watched from a deckchair looking south for about an hour or so.  I've never done this so 'formally' before. It's a nice thing to do and gave me the chance to look closely at the various constellations in my field of view: Altair, Cygnus, Vega, Hercules, Bootes, the Milky Way and more. 

I recorded about 16 in the hour I was looking. Some were very bright and coloured. Some appeared to form a double streak. Is that possible? 

The moon rose in the east after 11 or so, a beautiful red colour, but it began to steal the sky's darkness. 

From my notebook:

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Alan White    755

That was a good session, wish I had got the chance.

Shows how you have such variance in local weather, I am on holiday in Fraddon, but was very clouded last night.

bish    612

There was a lot of cloud around here but still saw 12 in an hour. There  were 3 very bright leaving smoke trails.

Martin Meredith    1,454

Nice report. Nothing so organised from me but staring northwards at the region just below Cassiopeia I saw 4 in about 8 minutes just outside Bakewell in the Peak District at around 11pm. One was moderately bright but the others were very short-lived and quite faint. All were moving to the 'right' (eastwards). I may have missed some... I got the impression that this year the rate was quite high compared to previous ones I've managed to observe.

andrew63    958

I went out around 10.15 and saw perhaps the the very bright one you had on your record 10.22.  From my location it sped past close to Altair -  distinctly orange with a lovely glowing tail. 

andrew

Ouroboros    784
22 minutes ago, andrew63 said:

I went out around 10.15 and saw perhaps the the very bright one you had on your record 10.22.  From my location it sped past close to Altair -  distinctly orange with a lovely glowing tail. 

andrew

Yes, quite possibly. I'm only 50 miles or so south of you as the crow flys. It was between Altair and Vega at a guess, heading south. It was the most colourful one I saw.