Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_nb_dso.jpg.eb6cd158659331fd13e71470af6da381.jpg

mikey2000    253

And it was blimmin' marvellous.   

Ive seen Jupiter before but Saturn has been alway hidden behind neighbour's houses.

last weekend, I visited a few friends in a dark part of Kent but is was largely cloudy.  Just in case, I took my 150pds and my 12mm starguider ep.

as luck would have it, the only clear patch of sky included Saturn.

what a thing to see!  With two clear rings and a moon, Saturn has just become my favourite planet  :-).  Also, with friends and their children, I was suddenly an Astronomer Rock Star.

nice!  

I also showed them a few views of double stars and the Double Cluster near Cassiopeia- I may have inspired the next generation of astronomers hopefully :-)

• Like 5

Galen Gilmore    297

Congrats! I just had a quick session with Saturn and saw something similar to you, a couple moons, the Cassini division, and some subtle cloud bands.

Its also interesting to me how Saturn would be a lot fainter if it didn't have rings. The rings effectively double its apparent brightness. 

Good luck in future observations.

Pondus    576

Congrats! I think I`ve had less than 30 mins view of Saturn the last few years due to it beeing so low over my horizon.

A lovely view, isnt it :happy11:.

Rune

mikey2000    253

It was indeed a fine view!  I had a quick fast forward in Stellarium.  I think it should be decently high in the sky for my by about 2027...  Not too long to wait in the Galactic scheme of things.:icon_biggrin:

• Like 1