Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Saturn!

mikey2000

And it was blimmin' marvellous.   

Ive seen Jupiter before but Saturn has been alway hidden behind neighbour's houses.

last weekend, I visited a few friends in a dark part of Kent but is was largely cloudy.  Just in case, I took my 150pds and my 12mm starguider ep.

as luck would have it, the only clear patch of sky included Saturn.

what a thing to see!  With two clear rings and a moon, Saturn has just become my favourite planet  :-).  Also, with friends and their children, I was suddenly an Astronomer Rock Star.

nice!  

I also showed them a few views of double stars and the Double Cluster near Cassiopeia- I may have inspired the next generation of astronomers hopefully :-)

Congrats! I just had a quick session with Saturn and saw something similar to you, a couple moons, the Cassini division, and some subtle cloud bands.

Its also interesting to me how Saturn would be a lot fainter if it didn't have rings. The rings effectively double its apparent brightness. 

Good luck in future observations.

Saturn is truly a sight to behold... when the seeing is crisp and Saturn is sharp with detailed  4, 5 or 6 moons visible around it, I find my self unable to look away... when I do, I just have to always have that one more look.

Archived