Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_nlc.gif

Dave1

Tonights observations

Dave1    92

Well tonight, I thought as its the Meteor shower in Perseid I'd get outside and observe after all it has been a long time since I did any observations.

So far tonight I have seen Polaris and its companion star. Looked at Albireo A and B, the double star in the swan constellation. I looked at Vega in Lyra. 

Thanks to @Stu and his star maps in my last observing thread, Stu kindly shared with me, I managed to view M81 and M82 galaxies. I am very chuffed I did this, the feeling is great especially doing it ol' fashioned way. 

I've seen about 5 Meteors so far tonight, so far so good. Back outside I go :)

Dave

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Stu    13,787

Good stuff Dave, they are a lovely pair of galaxies, glad you got them :) 

• Thanks 1

Littleguy80    566

Excellent work, Dave. Finding objects manually is really tough to start with but gives a real sense of achievement. M81/M82 are a great sight :)

• Thanks 1

Alien_Photons    133

I am in the west cost or Ireland at the moment. Last night was pretty clear with a good view of Saturn in an eight inch dob just after sun set. The real treat is the transparency however the sun light tracks around the north to the east during the night which is normal for our latitude. I caught a fireball at about 23:00 and it was to my eyes orange which is jot the normal white green I usually see. So I wondered would the light from sunset over the north illuminate the trail of a meteor at the high alitude of the trail. I was trying to figure out why it appreard orange and I couldn't think of any other reason.

All the other meteors later that evening with a stunning backdrop of the milkyway were white as expected. The night skies are stunning this far west.

• Thanks 1

Dave1    92

Thanks for the replies, Yes most of the Meteors over head where white/blue. Saw some long tails :) Never seen a fireball very lucky.