Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tonights observations

Dave1

Well tonight, I thought as its the Meteor shower in Perseid I'd get outside and observe after all it has been a long time since I did any observations.

So far tonight I have seen Polaris and its companion star. Looked at Albireo A and B, the double star in the swan constellation. I looked at Vega in Lyra. 

Thanks to @Stu and his star maps in my last observing thread, Stu kindly shared with me, I managed to view M81 and M82 galaxies. I am very chuffed I did this, the feeling is great especially doing it ol' fashioned way. 

I've seen about 5 Meteors so far tonight, so far so good. Back outside I go :)

Dave

I am in the west cost or Ireland at the moment. Last night was pretty clear with a good view of Saturn in an eight inch dob just after sun set. The real treat is the transparency however the sun light tracks around the north to the east during the night which is normal for our latitude. I caught a fireball at about 23:00 and it was to my eyes orange which is jot the normal white green I usually see. So I wondered would the light from sunset over the north illuminate the trail of a meteor at the high alitude of the trail. I was trying to figure out why it appreard orange and I couldn't think of any other reason.

All the other meteors later that evening with a stunning backdrop of the milkyway were white as expected. The night skies are stunning this far west.

Archived