Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Perseid meteor shower

PESKYWAABBIT

For the first time in ages I've been able to see the meteor shower as it's been clear for the first time in years from where I've been. Even got the missus to finally see a meteor!

As I went inside for a few minutes I also swear I heard an object hitting something hard and then our hedge move. I know it's pretty unlikely to be a meteorite but had a quick look but didn't see anything :(

I reckon I'll have to have a gander in the morning but I wont count my chickens!

Did anyone else get a chance to see any meteors?

I've just come in after watching for about an hour an a half - lots and lots of them whizzing across the sky here on the Solway coast. A very dark sky here, despite the glow of the rising Moon in the east, with the Milky Way dominating the view and many more stars than I am used to :cool2: 

I managed to keep Mrs T out for about half an hour but she did see a few flashing across the sky. But I fear my attempt at amazing her did not work out as planned. My first trick was to show her Saturn in the OMC140 - "I can't see Saturn - all I can see is a bright disk with an oval shape around it" - :help2:

Observed around just under 40 tonight including a few alpha-capricornids as well (minor shower with a peak rate that was last week). Spotted a nice slow moving one which broke up into lots of small sparkly bits and many leaving visible trains, a good shower this year for me.

Spent most of the night looking at guiding graphs, but I've seen half a dozen meteors. Set up the old 10D with a 28mm + cheap semi-fisheye adaptor but the remote lead won't work so just pressing the shutter every so often, might have caught some on it though. I saw one good fireball.

Sat watching the sky and at midnight I gave up, sort of 98% cloud with an odd gap, it was drifitng very very slowly from the North so little apparent chance of a clear band making an appearance. Previous night was much the same and the weather forecast is cloud tonight. Will keep the shoes, jacket and torch ready by the door but hold out little hope.

Woke this morning to a clear blue sky, muttered a few words that the filters would not allow.

I  saw 6 in about 40 minutes 10.20 -11.00 including a couple of bright longer ones. Its possible that there were a few more - very small faint movements that was easy to convince myself I imagined. Some small clouds drifted across at one point but still quite clear. Couldn't resist a quick look at M31 through the binos so I might have missed  more. Not the most spectacular meteor shower observation I've ever had but given the short time, not so bad.

Sat outside at 1am with my grandson and finally they started to crop up managed to see about 8 between us including my first smoker which was incredible an absolute awesome sight which made up for the earlier shortcomings.

Getting into the car to leave Swanage to go back to Hertfordshire at 8.40p.m. this evening. The sky was still day light, the sun just beginning to dip. I was thrilled to see a meteor. It looked like sparks. I have only seen them in darkness before

We counted 102 meteorites, from 22.10 till about quarter past midnight. We had a dark sky site, and clear skies in Shropshire, not far from Craven Arms. That was Saturday, and Sunday, through a one hour gap of clouds around midnight, I only counted six.
The large number (102) was because there were about ten people observing, and counting as they appeared. Not everyone saw 102. And of that amount, I'd say 80% were true Persieds. We got our chairs out in a row, and it was great fun!
Three were quite amazing, that I was. Leaving smoke trails, and two were gold, another, green!

47 minutes ago, Swithin StCleeve said:

We counted 102 meteorites, from 22.10 till about quarter past midnight. We had a dark sky site, and clear skies in Shropshire, not far from Craven Arms.

Hmmm?

How long had you spent in the Craven Arms? Are you sure you weren't seeing doubles? :lol: 

Only joking - that is a very good haul in a short space of time :smile: 

You sound cheekily doubtful on the numbers DRT, but we were quite precise in our counting. We said "when it gets to a hundred we'll go to bed", and two more shot over as we were packing up.
A guy who joined us from the Wolverhampton Astronomical Society went to bed an hour before we did, but he still counted fifty plus. It really was a fabulous night!

6 hours ago, Swithin StCleeve said:

You sound cheekily doubtful on the numbers DRT, but we were quite precise in our counting. We said "when it gets to a hundred we'll go to bed", and two more shot over as we were packing up.
A guy who joined us from the Wolverhampton Astronomical Society went to bed an hour before we did, but he still counted fifty plus. It really was a fabulous night!

Sounds fantastic! We have another clear night here tonight so I might go out to see some more :smile: 

Archived