Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star Discovery 150p, weights ?

Edited in yellow  to make more clear after investigations with nightfisher and happy-cat later,

Hi,  does anyone have to hand the weight of the Star Discovery mount and of its tripod (or mount+tripod combo)] ?

does anyone have the weights of the tripod, the mount and of the 150p OTA for the SW Star Discovery 150p complete package

I have found a site (sky@night review) that gives the total weight as 18kg, but not the individual weights of the OTA,  nor of the mount and the tripod   the other bits.

Background info :- Reason I ask is that I am in need of something to quickly carry round the garden, up/down steps on a hillside to avoid trees etc. Something between my binos and my Celestron 9.26Evo (which is ok for planned sessions when the forecast permits, it can be carried in three parts ok,  but not quick for dodging in and out of the house catching surprise intervals between clouds !)

The 18kg all in one is perhaps marginal so I may have to think about a 4", but at the mo. the FreedomFind facility is attractive. So if the OTA is quickly dismountable and removes a fair(?) few kg it could be on ?

Thanks.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

The mount and tripod do not weigh 18kg, i can lift the whole mount tripod with probably one hand (2 for safety) i would weigh it but its now on a pier mount

Oh ah ! That sounds good thanks. Hmmm I must have got my eyes or something xxed, it was only the one site, not found any weights at all on other sites/vendors.

Would you class yourself as a young virile weight lifter :) or more along the lines of a feak&weeble light weight short oldie well past retirement like me :D

(  Good idea about the pier mount, I've been thinking along similar lines for plonking the top half of the Evo onto, the Evo tripod+mount is a bit of a struggle at times when assembled )

1 minute ago, nightfisher said:

Just a word of caution, skywatcher claim 5kg payload, with a 5kg it would wobble a fair bit

Good point thanks,  no, the only thing other than its own OTA that might go on it in the future would be a Canon camera I think.

Oh we are at xporpoises !

The Star Discovery 150 OTA, mount and tripod :-

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/beginners-telescopes/sky-watcher-star-discovery-150p.html

and the S@N review of it :

http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/review/telescopes/sky-watcher-star-discovery-150p-go-reflector

I didnt realise they sold a Discovery mount only, sorry.

3 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

The mount might be a bit tricky to find on its own but i bought mine used the weights i gave you are for the tripod and mount with no scope fitted

I am understanding now I think ! I realised we had been at xxpurpose when I found the mount+tripod alone at FLO https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/sky-watcher-star-discovery-az-goto-mount.html

Whereas previously I had been looking at the whole setup as in the OV and S@N links.

The only caveat to all this is that S@N review is from march 2015 saying stainless ,  so I wonder if the tripod has been changed to aly as @happy-kat mentioned, , ,  , no FLO and OV still list it as stainless, payload 5kg but no other weights.

13 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

The mount might be a bit tricky to find on its own but i bought mine used the weights i gave you are for the tripod and mount with no scope fitted

Yes I see now, so to recap you have 7kg for a steel tripod + mount ?

and then we add a max of 5kg for the OTA gets us to 12kg.

Way short of the S+N review :( but better for my back !

14 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

FLO had sold just the mount on own. There are two flavours tracking or goto.

I can only see one "Discovery Goto" mount :-  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/sky-watcher-star-discovery-az-goto-mount.html

and one "AZ Goto" mount :-  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/skywatcher-az-goto-mount.html which is a different mechanism.

1 minute ago, happy-kat said:

Sorry I made a bit of a metal mix up, I didn't think it was steel but should have thought stainless steel.

and I mis-named the first one should have read "Discovery AZ Goto"

so we have 1) "Discovery AZ Goto" in steel

and 2) "AZ goto" in unmentioned !

nightmare !

Archived