SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Globular clusters are so boring.... not!!

swag72

Before this year I had never imaged a globular cluster. I figured that they are nothing more than a 'blob' of stars and all look the same........ I mean how boring is that!

I decided to give one a go during the full moon period..... that's another advantage..... You get something to do during the full moon period!! I have to say that I found it quite interesting, especially researching how many stars were in there etc. So I gave another one a go, and another one!!! So far I've completed 4 and there's another in the pipeline. 

I decided to put them all in one picture by way as a comparison for anyone else, who like me thought that they were boring and made pretty boring and 'meh' images.

Each one of the images gets the same data - 30x600s in Luminance, Red, Green and blue and they have all been taken with the same equipment - Mesu 200, TMB 152/1200 and QSI683.

You can see a larger res version on my website here......

Difference in Globs_SGL.jpg

An exciting set  Images of these Globulars  Sara. 

They are always contained in my observing sessions, and are always drawing gasps
from those who see them for the first time in a telescope. Fascinating  to 
visualise what they might seem like looking skywards from any planetary body that
could possibly reside in the midst of one. Although, I believe the stars are separated 
by about 1 light year, at least the ones way out from the central core. 
Perhaps closer in the central region.
:icon_salut:.

Yes, I like them, nice image.

They are all different in their own way and a fundimental put of most galaxies.

Definately worth a punt now and again, they would not look to good at my 135mm but at
longer focal lengths they gain more interest.

3 hours ago, swag72 said:

I decided to put them all in one picture by way as a comparison for anyone else, who like me thought that they were boring and made pretty boring and 'meh' images.

Very nice images Sara and definitely not boring. I really like globs and locating M13 with my 7 year old naked eyes from the then even darker Norfolk skies is an abiding memory for me 55 years on. I still love to sit at the eyepiece of my C14 and drink in the view of that one as I let my eyes dark adaption build; its amazing how many stars start to resolve visually. A one time look at Omega Centauri from the Mount John observatory during a trip to New Zealand in 2013 really blew me away - I so wish we could see that one from the UK. What photos reveal that the eye cannot see, is the range of star colours that your images display so very well - simply gorgeous..!!

12 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Sounds like I was in the minority then! Thinking that these targets were too mundane and boring to image was clearly a mistake :D 

So pleased you changed your mind on Globulars then Sarah. 
Dismissing them as uninteresting and boring might have put a dent in the admiration you have
for your Imaging reputation.
Quality Images produced by the likes of yourself, can only be an inspiration for
others to take an interest in these unique objects :icon_biggrin:.

Archived