Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The LHC (its friends and enemies) A poll to see what us lot think.....

Do you believe......  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe......

• The LHC will be of a great benefit
    • The LHC will provide some answers
    • The LHC will do nothing
    • The LHC will be a waste of money
    • The LHC will destroy the earth, as stated by most newspapers, some scientists and everybody's favourite..loose women!
    • I am in no-way qualified to answer this poll

I am quite fed up with all the media interest jumping on the 'black hole' bandwagon.

Dunno about you guys but they obviously haven't listened to a word of what the people at CERN have said.

The trouble is that the media and general public (great example is todays Loose Women program) only know keywords and from this they know very little about what they actually mean. For instance, walk down the street and ask someone what a black hole is/does, they are more than likely to say its 'a big bit of space which sucks things into it". They know nothing about where a blackhole comes from, the different types and what they are capable of.

The other night I was watching Mock The Week (hilarious program) and Franky Boyle was going on about the LHC destroying the universe......correct me here, but even if a mini blackhole were created...it wouldn't destroy the entire universe or anything else come to that!

Its because of people like him and the media (which connect with large amounts of the public) that the modern day layman has this incorrect assumption of what physical bodies can do and actually are.

People are missing out on the real story and in my opinion, its a massive shame.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's great. 100 countries are cooperating on it, that's a good thing just on it's own. The amount of money spent on it is peanuts compared with how much we spend on trying to wipe each other out. I roughly understand the science behind it (enough to be dangerous :clouds2::) ) and I think it'll help us understand the universe a bit better.

good on ya CERN :thumbright:

Sam

I hate the media circus surrounding the LHC. "Too expensive", "waste of money", "what about a cure for.." blah blah blah.

It is scientific progress and if it results in a dead-end then useful focus will land elsewhere. If is is successful then great. Either way we get progress. Its about time we humans had another quantum leap.

I think it will give some benefit. Small colliders have provided some answers, so simple extrapolation (i.e. bigger = more energy = bigger (new?) particles ) suggest a bigger collder may well increase our understanding.

Wayne

I always get a chuckle out of complaints about overspending. The press, and a lot of the public, seems to think that the money just disappears into a black hole. It doesn't, of course, it ends up in working people's pockets and corporate bank accounts, and gets spent on everything from groceries to Lamborginis, whick then gets spent again, or gets distributed in dividends, and is spent and respent, or saved and loaned out. The concept is known to economists as 'velocity' and increases the wealth of a sociaety. There is very little cash in the economy in notes and coins, compared to the amount that goes round, and the faster it goes round, the more 'money' there is to cure cancer with.

How about a collider that encircles the globe? With that, we could probably end world hunger. :clouds2:

Let's not forget that it is thanks to CERN that we have the ability to use this forum and the rest of the WWW.

The UK annual budget for the project is less than the UK spends on peanuts in a year... you can see where I am going with this. :clouds2:

Can't wait for the results to be broadcast, that's if the media are still interested next week?

hey guys somebody is going to love CERN ive just found out how much their electric bill is for the year its £ 14,000,000 ouch im glad im not paying for that

Is that all? Cheap at twice the price! Notice Google today? http:/www.google.ca

said the logical way :salute:

Andrew

The media rules. People listen to the media because they assume that because its printed, its right. And if one newspaper doesnt print it like the majortiy, then they are ignoring the truth and their sales will go down. What makes bigger headlines and therefore bigger sales?

Archived