Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Veil Nebula H-alpha 20 hrs exposure

pietervdv

Hello all,

During June / July I made a mosaic of a bit lesser known part of the veil nebula complex. This 2 pane mosaic shows the faint area next to the Witches Broom area. It is an area filled with very faint gas trendrils and delicate structures. I captured 5 more hours of data last week and processed all the data thus far. The conditions during image acquisition (like the entire 2 past months) were not good with passing high clouds / poor transparancy, but time to put this one to rest ...

This 2 panel mosaic was exposed 20 hours in total with a 10" f/3.8 Newton using a zwo asi-1600MM CMOS camera (5 min subexposures, unity gain setting). A 5nm Astrodon h-alpha filter was used.

The first image is for reference, it's the area I zoomed in on (screen shot from SGP):

I added the 33% sized version &  some higher resolution crops with some interesting details:

Thanks for checking them out,

Regards,

Pieter

Capture.JPG

veil mosaic_flattened_med_post.jpg

cr4.jpg

cr3.jpg

cr2.jpg

cr1.jpg

Thanks for the comments all ! There are still a lot of details just above the noise level, if I would have enough clear nights I would redo it under better sky conditions...

9 hours ago, Mick J said:

Stunning Pieter, I cannot begin to guess the amount of data 20 hours of 5 minute subs from the 1600mm produced, difficult to process ?

Thanks, over 7gb of data (not including the calibration files). Calibrating and stacking all the data took +/- 2 hours. Processing itself was very basic, 15 minutes max. Some carefull stretches / curves and joining the panels in Photoshop.The scope did all the work...:smiley:

7 hours ago, Rodd said:

Are you going to add OIII?  You have some fine details in there.

Rodd

Thanks, no O3-data anytime soon, I will keep it as a mono.

1 hour ago, Adam J said:

Out of interest which Coma Corrector are you using to get such good corner stars at F3.8? Although it is not quite an APS-C sensor so that makes it a little easier...

I am using a 3" Wynne corrector. In combination with high quality mirrors and precise collimation / focus, it gives refractor-like performance. ASA claims a 50mm corrected imaging circle. But for that you need to have a perfectly tweaked Newton, with zero tilt and perfect collimation. Certainly not plug and play... ?

Pieter

Archived