Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_nlc.gif

Rob55    0

Hi All

I'm new to the game. Bought a Celestron 102 for Christmas 6 years ago when I was in Louisiana. The winter nights usually never got colder than low 50s and were clear as a bell. I wanted to start locating and resolving binaries, but moved to Rockville MD and between the buildings and light pollution only set the scope up once. Now I'm in Washington state sorrunded by 100' cedars and clouds. I have enough distance from the trees North to see Polaris, but haven't found it yet through the glow Seattle cast through the haze. In Louisiana I had great views of Neptune, Jupiter, Venus. Last night looking just west of straight up with just my eyes I think I could see Vega fairly well. Anyhow I'm going to try to set up on my deck, but I'm worried about vibrations. The deck elevates me about 8' and gets me off a 20* grade. I have a little concrete patio but useing it it will put Polaris behind the trees and completely cut off my south and west horizon. I retire in a couple of weeks and want to spend some time learning this astronomy thing. Looking forward to learning. Oh I want to hook a camera to my MacBook. Anyhow thanks for letting me join.

Rob

Dave In Vermont    4,374

Greetings, Rob, from over in Vermont - and welcome aboard SGL, it's nice to have you join us!

Questions are encouraged in these many forums. As are answering them. So no need to be shy!

Starry Skies -

Dave

ronl    681

Hello Rob, welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy the forums, I'm sure that you will enjoy your retirement

I certainly do.

Good luck and Clear Sky's.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By mihneaadr
      Hello,
      Recently, one of my friends has moved out of the country and he has handed me (and other friends) certain items he couldn't take with him or didn't want to sell. Considering that I was the biggest star lover of the bunch , having learnt a few constellations -mostly to figure out where north is while hiking, I've been handed down his old telescope. I have researched a bit about it these past 3 days I've had it, and I would like to ask a few questions if you would be so kind to answer.
      So, first things first, what I've figured out (or have been told) so far: 1) It is on an equatorial mount (I'm 90% sure). 2) It is QUITE old (more than 15 years old). 3) I have 2 Barlow lenses (or mounts?): one 1.5X and one 3X, and 2 eyepieces: one 25mm and one 4mm, the latter I believe to be a Huygenian (Huygensian? Huyngensoid?) type since it has a very tiny top lens. 4) Any packaging and/or documentation is long fossilized in an unknown attic somewhere in south-eastern Europe.
      Rather than waste your time with other suppositions I've made that may or may not be true, I will tell you what it says on the actual telescope: 1) The mark is BSA Optics. 2) It's made in China. 3) On a label on the side, it says "AT375X112", and beneath "375X112mm".
      The questions I have are as follows: 1) What could I expect to see with the current equipment? Planets? Comets? Nebulae? Is it possible to see Andromeda? I tried using it for yesterday's peak of the Perseids, but it wasn't of much use (or I didn't know how to use it); 2) What documentation would you suggest? I don't have a lot of expandable income, but if there's two things I never scrimp on, it's books and drinks with friends. Also, as far as star charts/maps go, what should I get? I would like, if possible, something that can be used at different latitudes. 3) Are there any pieces of equipment that wouldn't set me back too far, something that would be worth it for improving my experience?
      Thank you for your help.

P.S. Sorry for any English errors, it's not my first language.
    • By erseavetir
      Hello all! I am a total noob and I have an eyepiece and a Barlow lens question: 

I have the Gskyer AZ70700 Refractor Telescope that I bought from amazon for my father and we have been using it for a week. It came with the 10 and 25mm eyepieces and a 3x Barlow lens. 

My father's old "BRESSER TRAVEL 20-60X60 SPOTTING SCOPE" that our cat destroyed had a zooming option that my father loved so after some research, I've also ordered the "Celestron 8-24mm Zoom Eyepiece (1.25")" from amazon and I hope it will work well with the telescope when it arrives in a week. I also assumed it would be a better quality eyepiece than the eyepieces that came with the telescope.

Now my question is: Do you think a 5mm eyepiece would work well with my telescope? If so, what is the best 5mm eyepiece that I can buy below $30. Another question I have is that the 3x Barlow Lens that I have is making the view blurry and not clear like when I don't use the Barlow lens. Do you think a 2x Barlow lens would be better for our telescope? If so, what is the best 2x Barlow lens that I can buy below $30. I saw 2 Barlow lenses that were made by SVBONY and Solomark that are around $16 but I don't know if they are the right ones for our telescope and I wouldn't know which one to buy. I assume maybe I won't need to buy the 5mm eyepiece for better viewing if the 2x Barlow lense will work with my 10mm eyepiece or with the Celestron 8-24mm Zoom Eyepiece. What do you guys think? I would really appreciate any answers.
    • By Alipentouce
      Hello everyone, I hope you are all OK.
      I just signed up for this magnificent website and I thought asking you guys some questions could be helpful.
      Well, astronomy isn't my college major but I've studied a lot about it and I consider myself an amateur astronomer.
      I needed to buy my first ever telescope and I can't decide which to buy!?
      Considering a Celestron Powerseeker50AZ and a Celestron FirstScope, Which one do you think is suitable for me and why?
    • By shauntp
      I've been a fan too long of astronomy to have just bought my first telescope. Meade Polaris 130mm 650mm. Largest aperture I could afford being out of work w/head injury. Now the first Q. If I'm totally broke, which I am, Is buying generic Plossl's going to be any better than the Meade MA's? Two - with all the light bright light I'm receiving w/the f/5 as I attempt viewing Jupiter & Saturn, could I use a polarizing filter on the planets, I need one anyways and like a variable, should I also just buy a name brand polarizer as well. If I buy namr brand products like I want, it'll take me until fall just to accumulate a few basics.

• By Red Dwarfer
      Hello SGL , this is my first new topic and it is in relation to M57 in Lyra ... I have tried to see this Nebula in different scopes since starting " telescope astronomy " a couple of months ago but to no avail so far ... Might it just be the time of year with no truly dark skies in Midsummer ? I have had much more luck with DSOs in the form of star clusters , like for example the M29 in Cygnus last night while trying to find the Nebula near by ( again to no avail ) ... The equipment used last night was a Meade Infinity refractor 90mm 600mm f/6.7 and a 40mm Plossl for wide field views .