Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar.thumb.jpg.ef4882eb5fb3610f8a68e5e6913de0e3.jpg

assasincz    90

Hi all,

I want to share with you my so far best image of Saturn, taken using:

• 305/1500 goto dob Skywatcher
  • QHY-5 mono
  • IR-UV block filter
  • Baader barlow 2.25

Registax, stack of 40 images, postprocessing

2017-07-21_Saturn.jpg

Edited by assasincz
  • Like 13

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By elliot
      I've just received a 12" Lazy Susan bearing to see if I can ease the Azimuth movement on my 10" SkyWatcher Dob.  Before I drilled any holes I thought I'd just put it in between the baseboards to see how it moved with the weight of the scope. Sure, it moves very freely and of course I'd have needed some kind of clutch to stop it flying around in the wind, but when it gets down to really fine movement, the cheep pressed steel bearing really isn't up to the job. I couldn't get the super-fine movement I had with the Teflon pads, it was just a wee bit too jerky. The Teflan pads are not as easy flowing but you get a load of control with Teflon if you apply some carefully applied muscle. 
      That's two dob mods that haven't worked for me so far, caster wheels and now the lazy susan bearing. Next upgrade will definitely be something simple like an eyepiece.

• By MikeODay
      A new High Dynamic Range image of the Sculptor Galaxy ( NGC 253 ) captured over a number of nights in mid-September 2017 and processed with PixInsight using the DrizzleIntegration and PhotometricColorCalibration tools.

The Silver Coin or Sculptor Galaxy ( NGC 253 ) in the Sculptor constellation.
      ( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper ) 
      On the 23rd of September 1783, sitting before her telescope in the field behind the house she shared with her brother William at Datchet, near Slough in the south of England, Miss Caroline Herschel "swept" the sky searching for new comets and never before seen star clusters and nebulae.   On this occasion, way down in the sky, not far above the Southern horizon, in an area of the southern sky that Nicolas de Lacaille had called the “Apparatus Sculptoris” or “the sculptor’s studio", Miss Herschel saw and noted down a very bright and large nebula where one had never before been recorded.  This event was later recognised by her brother, Sir William Herschel, as the discovery, by Caroline Herschel, of the nebula he listed in his catalogue as H V.1.   In later years, her 'beloved nephew', Sir John Herschel, William's son, would record this 'nebula' as entry # 138 in his General Catalogue of Nebulae and Clusters of Stars ( eventually becoming the 253th entry in the New General Catalogue, NGC 253 ).
      Whilst relatively close to us compared to the billions of far more distant galaxies in the Universe, the great size of the “Sculptor Galaxy” and the huge distances involved are still hard to comprehend.  To put this into some perspective, the light that is just now reaching one edge of the great disc left the opposite edge when the Earth was in the grip of last great Ice Age 70,000 years ago and the light we now see has been travelling towards us for over 11 million years.
      More information on the discovery of the Sculptor Galaxy by Miss Caroline Herschel, as well as the later observations by both Sir William and Sir John Herschel, can be found in my  Stargazerslounge blog, “The Sculptor Galaxy ( NGC 253 )”
      This image was captured over a number of nights in the middle of September 2017 and processed on the 23rd; exactly 234 years from the day of its discovery by Caroline Herschel.  
      With over 18 hours of total exposure, this HDR image attempts to capture the huge range of brightness levels; from the brightest stars and the core of the galaxy through to the numerous 'tiny' galaxies scattered throughout the image ( the total magnitude range is from around mag 8.8, for the brightest star, to 22+ for the faintest stars and galaxies visible in the image).
      Mike O'Day
      Capture Details:
      Telescope: 
      Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 )
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1410mm f4.7
      Mount: Skywatcher EQ8
      Guiding: 
      TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2
      Camera:Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels)
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )..
      Capture ( 16, 17, 19,20,22 Sept. 2017 )
      8 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 2s to 240s ) all at ISO800
      273 x 240s + 10 each @ 2s to 120s
      total around 18hrs 
      Processing
      Calibration: master bias, master flat and no darks.
      Drizzle Integration in 8 sets.
      HDR combination 
      PhotometricColorCalibration
      Pixinsight & Photoshop
      23 Sept. & 8 Oct 2017
      Image Plate Solution ( this cropped image )
      ===============================================
      Resolution ........ 1.324 arcsec/px
      Rotation .......... -180.00 deg ( South ^, East > )
      Field of view ..... 57' 57.5" x 38' 40.1"
      Image center ...... RA: 00 47 32.809  Dec: -25 17 04.48
      ===============================================
      Designations and alternative names for the Sculptor Galaxy:

CH10  ( Caroline Herschel # 10 )
      H V.1  ( William Herschel,  Class V ( very large Nebulae ) # 1  )
      H 61, H 2345  ( John Herschel observations identifiers )
      GC 138.   ( John Herschel’s - A General Catalogue of Nebulae and Clusters of Stars # 138 )
      NGC 253  ( John Herschel’s catalogue updated by Dreyer - The New General Catalogue of Nebulae and Clusters of Stars # 253 )
      Caldwell 65
      Leda 2789
      ESO 479-29
      Sculptor Galaxy
      Silver Coin Galaxy
      Silver Dollar Galaxy

Annotated image of the Sculptor Galaxy ( NGC 253 ) - showing the brighter stars ( from the Tycho-2 catalogue ) as well the galaxies recorded in the Principal Galaxies Catalogue ( PGC ).  I have yet to complete identifying and annotating the very large number of ‘tiny’ galaxies in the image.
      ( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper )

• By Jammy
      What am I doing wrong to get planetary images like these attached?
      Or maybe I should be asking what am I actually doing right?
      I've tried a few times to images planets with my QHY5L-ii mono camera through the C9.25 both with and without IR/UV block filter and get the same blurred results every time.
      I've checked collimation, and focus using a star mask.  It's pretty good really, and I know the camera works fine because I've used it to get some good lunar shots.
      I'm imaging thought sharpcap software and have processed the images with registax or autostakkert and get very similar results.  Is there anything obvious that I'm missing??
      All suggestions welcome, thanks!

• By Astro Buer
      Hi all! 
      I'm looking for any recommendations for a good little refractor as a companion for my Star Adventurer for astrophotography. 
      Little (in weight) being the operative word given the 5kg payload capacity of the mount! 
      Currently I am shooting with an Sony A7S and guiding with an Orion Starshoot and Orion 50mm guide scope. So there's a little bit of weight on there already. 
      Looking at refractors with a focal length of 400-600mm which are proven performers for imaging. 
      So far contenders are:
      Stellarvue 80mm ED
      TS-Optics ED 70mm f/6
      William Optics Gran Turismo 71 APO Refractor
      Any advice/images of rigs/example images/etc would be greatly appreciated! 
      Thanks in advance :-) 

• By EBXL5
      So as per the title it's a hello again!
      Apologies I've been gone a while (2yrs) due to work commitments and moving home. 
      After visits to the Kennedy Space Centre this summer and having just returned from the National Space Centre in Leicester (kids sleepover party), I dusted off my trusty little Dob and managed to get some fantastic views of Saturn for the family and even watched the ISS go by. 
      Astro fun reinvigorated, clear skies fellow loungers.