SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

More DSS help needed!

I think the halos have been caused by the Canon DPP conversion to TIF, by default it applies a little sharpening and NR. I'm now converting everything again with those options disabled.

I suspect the alignment problem is caused by hot pixels as I tried stacking the RAW lights without calibration frames, whereas the converted ones work OK. I think I'm making some progress now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/14/2017 at 01:54, StargeezerTim said:

Da Daaaa....

Case Solved! After at least 30 unsuccessful stackings I finally got there. Its the registration process, I unticked the 'automatic detection of hot pixels' and it now stacks perfectly. No problem with calibration frames either. I can only assume that it was mistaking hot pixels for stars... answers on a postcard please. Perhaps this need to be unticked on bright images as its never caused problems before.

This hobby really firms up your problem solving and persistence. :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::hello2::hello2::coffee22::coffee22:

Interesting to find out this makes a difference.
I had this problem and I realized superpixel mode is kind of a workaround, but of course you lose your resolution.

Let me try untick hot pixel detection to see if it helps...

Hi Tim

I had similar problem - not quite the same but very similar. The problem seemed to be fixed by reducing the number of stars - BUT adjusting the slider to change the star detection threshold in itself didn't fix it. It also needed the "Reduce noise by using a median filter" option ticked. Do you have that checked I wonder?

image.thumb.png.b6624a93ffadedaa3af914bd47f83c95.png

Archived