Narrowband

Vixen SLV - rattle?

davyludo

Hi all,

Just purchased a Vixen SLV 12mm (second hand) and found that it rattles a bit....

Tried it out and view looks perfect though. Is this something I should worry about?

Anyone else have the SLV and noticed this?....in case it's just the eye cup or something that makes a noise. 

Hold the eyecup firmly together with the barrel and repeat the shaking.  If it goes away, it's the adjustable eyecup.  If it's a lens, the bottom retaining ring most probably worked itself slightly loose.  If you want, you can carefully nudge it back to snugness with the tip of a small screwdriver in one of the spanner wrench notches.  If it's snug already, I'd say leave it well enough alone if the views are good.  It's not worth it to try to access internal retaining rings just to fix a small rattle.

Thanks chaps - I've held the eye cup firmly and it still rattles, so must be inside.

Was hoping you'd see this John, as I know you reviewed the SLV range. Seems like a lovely eyepiece, regardless of the rattle!

I'll maybe see if there is anything that I can tighten up. 

Don't worry, won't be opening another eyepiece....not after the x-cel 5mm incident! :tongue2:

Thats a bit of a shame Dave. My 15mm SLV (also bought 2nd hand) rattles a smidge with the eye cup fully extended but as Louis has mentioned, this comes from the eye cup and with a finger pushed against it the rattle is no more. Everything else is solid. Looking up inside the bottom of the eye piece I cannot see any of the notches that you sometimes see in eyepieces, so cannot see any obvious way of tightening it up. However if it does not seem to be affected by the rattle, then perhaps its not worth worrying too much about. I've read a few accounts of rattly EPs that seem OK. At least you will know which one it is in the dark!

49 minutes ago, Alfian said:

Thats a bit of a shame Dave. My 15mm SLV (also bought 2nd hand) rattles a smidge with the eye cup fully extended but as Louis has mentioned, this comes from the eye cup and with a finger pushed against it the rattle is no more. Everything else is solid. Looking up inside the bottom of the eye piece I cannot see any of the notches that you sometimes see in eyepieces, so cannot see any obvious way of tightening it up. However if it does not seem to be affected by the rattle, then perhaps its not worth worrying too much about. I've read a few accounts of rattly EPs that seem OK. At least you will know which one it is in the dark!

Hi Ian, 

Yeah I've had a look and it doesn't look like anything can be tightened up :unsure:

Got the cloth that comes with baader wonder fluid and gently held the external lenses in place as I gave it a wiggle. Still rattles so it's obviously one of the inside ones.

Hahaha, I hadn't thought about using it as a homing method!

There should not be a rattle, but from what is said it does not sound serious.

What usually occurs is that there is a thin retaining ring at the top and/or the base and this manages to become a bit loose and unscrew itself fractionally, then the bits inside can move and so rattle slightly. The rattle is I guess an internal spacer between 2 lens groups - mainly as that is metal to metal and it probably sounds like a couple of bits of metal.

Likely the assembly is done with the eyepiece upright and the glass and spacers are dropped in and the retaining ring applied. Impling the culprit is at the top. Also any adjustable eye cup is at the top and maybe in turning that the retaining ring has been rotated.

To "fix" it you would need to be able to see the top of the eyepiece probably without the/any eye cup in position. You will likely see a thin ring around the top lens with 2 small holes diametrically opposite, that will be the retaining ring. A careful tightening with something ot other (not a clue what specifically) should should just make everything grip again. Literally it is likely to only rotate 2 to 3mm and be tight, so almost no vertical movement.

As a small point the barrel at the base may have a lens in it, some do, that could also be the culprit, again there will be a thin retaining ring, just tighten it up fractionally. Or the eyepiece may have a the lens retaining ring at the under side - depends on the construction, but this is not that common.

• 2 months later...
On 11/08/2017 at 14:53, davyludo said:

Hi all,

Just purchased a Vixen SLV 12mm (second hand) and found that it rattles a bit....

Tried it out and view looks perfect though. Is this something I should worry about?

Anyone else have the SLV and noticed this?....in case it's just the eye cup or something that makes a noise. 

The new 25 I bought recently has the eye cup looser when completely screwed down. Screwing it up the looseness goes. Not so much a rattle, just a little disconcerting.

14 minutes ago, 25585 said:

The new 25 I bought recently has the eye cup looser when completely screwed down. Screwing it up the looseness goes. Not so much a rattle, just a little disconcerting.

Yeah - turned out mine was something loose inside. I ended up getting a replacement, no rattles now :biggrin:

Archived