Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Grumpy Martian

My New Orion VX8 Newtonian.

Grumpy Martian    208

I am a purely a visual observer.I live in South Hertfordshire which is heavily light polluted due to London.

I have an Altair Sabre mount.A few weeks ago I took delivery of my new Orion Optics VX8 F4.5 Newtonian. This has 1/10 th wave opticsBefore my purchase,I was in two minds.Either The VX8 or The Altair 150mm achromat refractor.I have to thank Davey T for inviting me round to take a look at his.Very impressed with this refractor. But it was the Newtoinan for me in the end.

I bought the shorter focal length tube for the lighter weight and ease of use and handling, (Tube length 860mm).

My good friend Nadeem has helped me to collimate the optical system.I am still in the learning stage.But Nadeem explained each step.Especially the secondary alignment.

Many people told me to go for the F6 focal ratio version.I can see their point.On the face of it ,easier collimation.

But,I found it very easy to align the main mirror.This was because of the shorter tube length which allowed me to reach the collimation knobs while still looking through the eyepiece.

Orion supplied a 50mm RACI finderscope which is great.

All optics cooled down,the views were magical.I was using a 22mm Nagler eyepiece and a 16mm Skywatcher Nirvana.

pushing the telescope around Cygnus was amazing.The Double Cluster equally so.

I have made the right choice.Also collimation is no more a fear.

I bought an ADM dovetail bar from First Light Optics.They were really helpful in sending it direct to Orion Optics UK. This bar was fitted to my VX8.

Orion also fitted a nice carry handle to help mount the tube to the mount.

I will update as I progress with this telescope.I do intend taking it to the dark skies of Swanage in Dorset sometime.I have high hopes for the views in darker skies.

IMG_2230.JPG

IMG_2231.JPG

Orion VX8 Telescope..JPG

• Like 7

Scooot    2,291

Congrats!  They're great scopes you'll get loads of enjoyment from that. :) 

John    16,311

Very nice outfit !

• Like 1

Ruud    1,285

Wow, Grumpy! It looks wonderful. Nice eyepieces too, and a good raci. 

It's awesome!

Stu    13,787

Great looking scope, looks like it sits nicely on the mount.

Have fun with it in Dorset, I love that area. Perhaps go up to Durlston Head?

• Like 1

Dave1    92

Durlston hold one public astronomy event each month at its observatory. If you were to belong to one of the local astronomy clubs, I think you can gain more access to the observatory.

Dave

Stu    13,787
19 minutes ago, Dave1 said:

Durlston hold one public astronomy event each month at its observatory. If you were to belong to one of the local astronomy clubs, I think you can gain more access to the observatory.

Dave

Nothing stopping you taking a scope up there at night though is there? Not sure if there is a barrier or fate that gets shut later at night, worth checking.

Dave1    92

No, but I don't need to, as I can go out into the sticks if I want even darker skies. Its worth checking yes. It was more for the OP benefit. I only re found this information last night. So that I have like minded folks to meet.

Grumpy Martian    208

Went to Durlston last night. Saw around ten meteors. Then the clouds rolled in again

Some of The Wessex astronomy group allowed me to look through their telescopes (MN 190 and 12 inch Dob). Great views of the double cluster and Hercules, thanks to them.

• Like 1

Dave In Vermont    4,374

That's a very handsome set-up you have there, GM!

That came-with the 50mm RACI is an excellent change, as it never was the case in most new scopes - Newts mostly - and resulted in the need to about an additional $70US to remedy. I wish this becomes the commonplace and all new scopes did this. Or make it optional at least.

Have fun!

Dave

Grumpy Martian    208

It was an optional change from a straight through Dave at an additional cost. It is very useful with the Newtonian. Thanks for the comments.

Edited by Grumpy Martian
Spelling

nightfisher    6,301

Martin, very nice and shock horror they delivered pretty much on shedule...........thats a first!

Looks great and should give you years of quality astro enjoyment