Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_nb_dso.jpg.eb6cd158659331fd13e71470af6da381.jpg

ChrisD

New Canon IS Binoculars

ChrisD    16

Looks like we have three new Canon IS bins arriving in November (date according to amazon). 10x32, 12x32 and 14x32. An odd range!

https://www.canon.co.uk/binoculars/choosing-by-model/

I'd love to know whether the IS is significantly improved but can't really see that any would tempt me. Maybe the 10s if priced right and are an improvement on the current 10x30 IS ii.

Edited by ChrisD

DirkSteele    1,146

Wonder if that means we will see new larger models coming in the next year or so? A 50mm with improved I.S would be nice.

ChrisD    16
3 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

Wonder if that means we will see new larger models coming in the next year or so? A 50mm with improved I.S would be nice.

That would be fantastic. I've got the 50mm and I love them but using them can be a bit like steering a ship through a stormy night.

Azelfafage    15

Rather annoying to hear this news as I have to make a confession.......... :hmh:    Just gone and treated myself to the 12 x 36 IS Canons (still in the box) and will do a "first light" at the earliest opportunity.

Nothing about this on Google that I could see - perhaps I just looked in the wrong places :iamwithstupid:.

A

ChrisD    16

I came across them looking on amazon for IS bins in the hope of finding a bargain. I think they're very very new as I do that quite often (having once got an as new pair of the 15x50s for around £400 from Amazon Warehouse!) and this is the first I've seen. Their current release date is end of November. From the amazon listing these are all going to be well over £1000 so you might have made the right choice after all.

I'm pleased that they're still developing the range. Some of the existing models are getting on a bit now.

Doug    47

I have had Canon I.S 15x50 for about 6 years before they went water proof :-) but it doesn't mean much to me as I don't use them in the rain I use them mostly for Astronomy very clean and very stable to me worth the money there are times of the year when they are reduced so keep your eyes open 

Mr Spock    4,879

My 12-36s are really good. I don't use them much for astro, mainly birding.

Azelfafage    15

Am rather annoyed that they don't have objective covers for the price charged. I did look at my stock of spares from the binoculars I've had previously but none of those fitted. So I've measured the external diameter (which is quite a bit larger than the OG diameter) and sent off for a suitable set.

A