Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Perseid meteor shower. Static tripod or equatorial?

Danny83uk

So with tonight looking the best night to 'Fish' for shooting stars ive decided late(after modifying the bracket on my equatorial mount to fit a dslr) If it is actually benificial to use a tracking mount or would i be better using a static tripod like i usually do. Im not so interested in the star trails as i am one image with all my nights meteors on 1 frame(after stacking). Granted the foreground might shift between frames but i can always layer mask them out and keep one as a perspective frame.

Thanks for any help and i understand this is late in the day researching it.

Danny

9 minutes ago, Charic said:

The image appears to show a static mount! I'm still searching myself if tracking is beneficial, even though that facility is not available to me.

So it does. Its only available to me now as ive taken the short dovetail that came with it and moved the 1/4" bolt off the scope bracket passing it through from behind and binding it in (after a bit of Countersinking to lower the head of the bolt so the camera can attach.

image1.thumb.JPG.9fde79b805bd13e57ac20df0ce9f702d.JPGimage2.thumb.JPG.45f116208b13daecb01ddf22c1b3af4f.JPG

If weight and the accompaning bits are not an issue I would go for the tracking option. Simply you do not have to bother greatly with aiming the thing after the initial set up - it is called being lazy. An occasional check and recentre and all you need do it take the shots.

2 minutes ago, ronin said:

If weight and the accompaning bits are not an issue I would go for the tracking option. Simply you do not have to bother greatly with aiming the thing after the initial set up - it is called being lazy. An occasional check and recentre and all you need do it take the shots.

Lazy shoot method but more work if your mount isnt fixed ;). Ive take a few star trails now using a fixed mount. so might atleast try it.

3 hours ago, Danny83uk said:

........So it turned out that it doesnt matter which style of mount you use if the clouds roll in.......

...ditto...

I even supplied an image of my conditions on another thread, here at SGL.

Archived