Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Plossl Eyepieces - Bonkers!

FLO

Interesting discussion about the 40 mm vs 32 mm eyepieces. I'd always avoided the former thinking the field stop meant it's better to go for the shorter FL, but the arguments above are persuasive enough for me to give the 40mm a go on my 60 mm Mak travel scope. Just placed an order for the Vixen model from FLO.

Jeremy

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My scopes are all between F4 and F7.5 so I have a pair of the 32mm for use in binoviewers, I also use one on its own in my ST80 uber finder. It gives a very nice sharp bright image and maxes out the field of view for a 1.25". The exit pupil is still a little big at 6.4mm for finding faint fuzzies so I also use a 16mm 82 degree Nirvana to search for galaxies and other faint fuzzies at 3.2mm exit pupil.

This is some useful guidance on exit pupils and it seems to chime with practical experience as well:

https://www.astronomics.com/eyepiece-exit-pupils_t.aspx

I do most of my observing from my garden which has some light pollution although not excessive. I've always found a slightly shorter focal length eyepiece more effective than a longer one for deep sky objects, eg: I use my 21mm much more than my 31mm, a 30mm over a 40mm plossl etc.

My scopes are in the range F/5.3 to F/9.2.

I'm also not keen on the 43 degree apparent field of the 40mm 1.25" format eyepieces which I find rather restrictive. Another reason why I tend to go for a 32mm rather than a 40mm plossl.

"Your mileage may vary" though, as ever (especially if your scopes are F/10 or slower) :icon_biggrin:

Mind you, at the prices these eyepieces at currently at, you can afford to experiment !

My conclusion from tonight's little session is that I prefer the eye placement of the 40mm over the 32mm, the eyelens is recessed nicely for this. Field of view wasn't a problem at such low mag, but the sky background was quite bright as you would expect at a large exit pupil. Still gave nicely framed views of M27, which is the only thing I managed to find with any of my EP's tonight!

Good purchase, I'm pleased with mine :)     

On 12/08/2017 at 20:48, Stub Mandrel said:

I don't know if the Celestron 32mm Plossl that comes with the CV90 Mak has the same optics (it is a different colour). It seems to be very good to me but the 'hover' effect of huge eye relief does take some getting used to.

No, I don't have one to hand but I am quite sure it is a different eyepiece. 

53 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Was the 32mm £29 on Friday? It's currently listed at £35. Not sure if it's my memory or the price of procrastination is £6? ;) 

No, it has never been £29 :smile: 

Earlier this year, around Jan/Feb, the price went as low as £37 and recently it was as high as £43. The current £35 price is the lowest it's ever been. 

16 minutes ago, FLO said:

No, it has never been £29 :smile: 

Earlier this year, around Jan/Feb, the price went as low as £37 and recently it was as high as £43. The current £35 price is the lowest it's ever been. 

Fab, thank you. £29 was obviously wishful thinking. Still a bargain though!

My Vixen 40 mm arrived yesterday morning and it was clear last night. I was pretty pleased with the views it can through my MightMak 60. I was initially surprised by how far back I had to hold my eye, but soon got used to it. Lovely crisp images.

This eyepiece will now be part of my ultra-compact travel set-up.

Jeremy

18 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

My Vixen 40 mm arrived yesterday morning and it was clear last night. I was pretty pleased with the views it can through my MightMak 60. I was initially surprised by how far back I had to hold my eye, but soon got used to it. Lovely crisp images.

This eyepiece will now be part of my ultra-compact travel set-up.

Jeremy

If it is the Vixen NPL 40mm, remember that you can twist the eyecup up to a higher position. Apologies if you already know that !

18 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Yes, I had it in the highest position, John.

Jeremy

OK. Just thought I'd mention it. I have the 30mm NPL and with the eyecup up, your eye socket rests gently on the rubber surround, which is comfortable. I thought the 40mm might be the same.

Edit: Just remembered that this is a Celestron plossl thread ! Sorry FLO :rolleyes2:

Archived