SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

can not get all sky plate solver to work, help please

red dwalf

first clear sky for ages last night and could not get all sky plate solver to work, i have put in all the scope focal length and camera pixel size but the instructions on how to use a basic and i could do with a hand held instruction list, i`m using windows 10, stellarium, eqmod,and trying to plate solve with all sky plate solver, i have switched to this as i was using astrotortilla very well until it stopped solving too, any help please or address to a good website for user help.

many thanks

Hmmm,

not with my computer at the moment, but a couple of things come to mind.

you can give the file and location anything you want.

unpark the mount to allow for re-syncing.

Tick the ignore option to minimize any conflict and double check the focal length and pixel size.

it should then work IF the camera with the same ASCOM settings shows a reasonable working image with the selected exposure I.e. Enough star images to be identified.

try the camera independently first.......

OK

I should be able to access my computer later today.

I'll verify all the settings I use in Eqmod, CDC and ASPS.

can you confirm that the camera you are using definitely provides a workable image under your ASCOM settings.

If you can upload an example I can run it through the process.

can you confirm that the camera you are using definitely provides a workable image under your ASCOM settings.

thanks for the help, I don't see any image appear, can you tell me how to check ? I've just been ticking the boxes for connecting the mount and camera, it says the mount is connected on the bottom left of the program, but I see nothing for the camera, what I did try is taking a 10 second sub with nebulosity, saving the file and then loading the file in the file name box at the top.

Had some luck today using the program with astro photography tool, it displayed and image and tried to solve it, obviously it couldn't as it was daylight, so I'm guessing that all sky plate solver isn't compatible with nebulosity 3.

OK I'm back home now.....

Connecting my EQ6Pro mount with CdC and EQMod and double checking the ASCOM settings for my camera - I use AstroArt, then configuring ASPS for the focal length/ pixel size of my electronic finder I can obtain a fits image, solve and sync the mount....

Note the "Alignment/ Sync" options in EQMod Tools. Click the small notepad icon and then tick all the sync options....

Works for me.

If you upload (or send me) a typical image which you're trying to solve , maybe we can move forward.

Ken

I only do spectroscopy so the "imaging" camera only sees spectra not the sky.

The built-in guider on the spectroscope has a small field of view ( the C11 at f10) and can generate "double star" images of brighter field stars. Not suitable for plate solving.

My solution is to use a DMK51 camera on the 60mm finder as an electronic finder and use these images for plate solving.

Hope this helps.

@red dwalf If you have a separate guide scope then only use your imaging camera or else the target will be off center or miles out. I take it you have the mount in the parked position but unparked and are then running a auto solve first? Then choosing your object and solve this. Been ill for the last week and I cannot remember the last time of started up my kit due to weather but this will help you.

(when doing my alignment using blind solve I seem to always click the scope position to help speed things up).

Cheers

Spill.

I downloaded this yesterday and works perfectly - even with no settings in, so it was a true blind solve.

Rob - happy to test your image... email to daz@stargazerslounge.com if you like...

On 21/08/2017 at 12:23, spillage said:

@red dwalf If you have a separate guide scope then only use your imaging camera or else the target will be off center or miles out. I take it you have the mount in the parked position but unparked and are then running a auto solve first? Then choosing your object and solve this. Been ill for the last week and I cannot remember the last time of started up my kit due to weather but this will help you.

(when doing my alignment using blind solve I seem to always click the scope position to help speed things up).

Cheers

Spill.

i`ve been unparking the mount which is polar aligned to begin with, then slewing to a target, which has been in the right area of the sky and not miles off, then doing a plate solve using the imaging camera, nothing happens in nebulosity 3, i get no image appear like i did when using astro tortilla, i`ve also made sure that eqmod has not stored any alignment points as i know this used to cause problems when using astro tortilla, when i used it with astro photograpy tool an image would appear and i would get a message saying something like "slew to alignment" i`d click yes and the mount would not move.

On 21/08/2017 at 12:49, daz said:

I downloaded this yesterday and works perfectly - even with no settings in, so it was a true blind solve.

Rob - happy to test your image... email to daz@stargazerslounge.com if you like...

thanks Daz, next clear night i`ll try to get one

• Like 1

When I do this in apt I will always pointsolve (platesolve) from the park position first. This aligns the scope. Then choose the target and solve. I have never bothered to clear any data from eqmod and although sometime it can struggle to solve and throw a wobbly I normally have it ready to go in a few minutes.

Once I get another clear night I will make a proper note of my routine in apt and post it up if that would help.

I remember spending ages at first getting it to work (sorry getting my head to work it out) then just followed the manual like a robot without deciding I knew best and suddenly it worked like a dream.

Spill,

with my semi remote set-up with the 60mm electronic finder on the C11 at f10, I can center the finder on a target star and have it sitting on the 20micron slit gap in the spectroscope.

certainly accurate enough for plate solving......

• 2 years later...

Hi I have just come across this topic and it is very relevant to me.

I have installed APT and ASPS but when I hit ‘blind’ to solve the pic I have taken I get a message saying it cannot find asps please use the settings in pointcraft to locate the file, so I did that, a few times, but all to no avail. I must be doing something wrong but what. I have watched many videos on YouTube but they all start in the middle. I need to see things right from the start, such as downloading asps saving it into a location Etc. Anyone help please.

Edited by Dinoboy
Miss spelt word