Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep2_banner.thumb.jpg.e37c929f88100393e885b7befec4c749.jpg

Just a quick report on tonight's observation . Got an AZ GOTO mount on Monday and have the 130p mounted on it ... to be honest , I was worried about getting it set up right , but after a look around SGL found the information on coordinates that were needed and it works 100% .

3 new Messier and NGC targets were found tonight , well , 4 if you add NGC7000 , but it was too faint to count as a catch - it looked like a very faint cluster . 

The big catches tonight were in the Ursa Major region : Bode's Galaxy M81 and the Cigar Galaxy M82 . Both were well defined and bright , even in the 5 inch reflector and I was very happy to see them for the first time . Up to now M57 was my favourite DSO , now it's joint favourite with Bode's Galaxy .

NGC7635 Bubble Nebula was also a first and added to the list tonight . Several other targets , e.g. Pinwheel Galaxy , in Ursa Major region were attempted tonight but with no luck - maybe darker Winter skies will give better results with these .

• Like 7

Nice report... this is only the beginning, you will see some amazing sights as you observe over the coming years.

• Thanks 1

Well done Red Dwarfer, good that you got everything sorted ok, not always easy first time.

Some of those fainter targets do need dark skies. The easier ones tend to be the more compact objects such as globular clusters and some planetary nebulae.

Give M13 and M92 a go, plus M27 if you haven't already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great report - M81 and M82 are a lovely pair.

M101 has low surface brightness, which means it is affected badly by light pollution and moonlight. If the Moon was up when you attempted it, then I'm not surprised you didn't see it. It will definitely be easier in the spring when it's high in the sky.

As well as globulars and small planetaries, bright open clusters are easy to see - M11 is a good one at this time of year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Giedrius05
      Dear colleagues,
      I am new in astronomy and got my SkyWatcher Star Discovery 150Pi WiFi AZ GoTo, however I am experiencing one big problem. When I try to align my telescope using SynScan Pro app on laptop or smartphone the telescope always points wrong direction. I do not have hand controller.
      I set telescope north using compass, enter latitude and longitude, but when try to align 1 star or 2 stars, telescope spins way, way off. When the star is in the South East it shows north east, or sometimes points absolutely wrong direction. When it is set on the north and object is 98 degrees east it goes some 30 degrees. It also points lower or higher.
      I am totally lost.
      I use 8 AA batteries.
      What I do wrong?
      How to fix this?
      Thank you.

• By The Admiral
      I'm just starting to get to grips with my new iOptron GEM45 EQ mount, having spent some time cutting my teeth in astro-imaging using an Nexstar Alt-Az mount. Very much an EQ virgin!
      I decided to image M81 & M82 as these were inaccessible with my old Nexstar, so it was new territory for me. I used my Altair Wave 104 f/7 ED triplet scope, Photoline 0.79x reducer and Fuji X-T1 (effective FL 560mm). ISO400. 60 x 90s lights and flats. I did take 20 darks but I found that using some old bias frames from an earlier session gave a better result. Stacked in AstroArt 6, processed in StarTools v1.6.393 RC2, and polished in Lightroom. I've yet to get to grips with this latest version of ST, so for this image I haven't used the full gamut of controls. I like to get as much detail as I can from my images, I don't do subtle! Fans of a naturalistic look may not approve .

At about the 9 o'clock position there is a small blue 'smudge', enlarged here. It does unfortunately reveal some trouble with my stars!

I had originally thought that this was NGC 2976, but Astronet shows that galaxy to be too far away. Anyone any idea?

Thanks for looking.
      Ian
    • By Gryffster
      Hi - I'm a relative newcomer to telescopes with goto - still trying to figure them out.
      I have a problem with Goto on the 8SE.
      Alignment usually works (Not always, but usually)

I believe my set up is correct - time and date, DST and UTC (It's currently BST in the UK)

I usually use 2-star alignment (Currently, most convenient for me are Sirius and Procyon)
      Alignment usually succeeds, but goto just doesn't. The scope slews away, sometimes even to a completely different part of the sky from the selected object (I'm familiar enough with
      the sky to be able to identify several bright stars without assistance)
      Bizarrely, this happens even if the goto object is one of the alignment stars - how could it possibly not be able to find a star when you've explicitly told it where it is?
      I've read that goto sometimes doesn't work well on battery power, so I've aquired a mains adapter. No change.
      I haven't yet updated the handset firmware (I'm waiting for a serial-usb adapter.)
      Any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks
    • By Spider-Man
      Hi everyone,
      I'm looking to get a reasonably portable astrophotography set-up, using a 60-100mm refractor, with a suitable goto mount.  I spotted the Explore Scientifice exos2-gt with pmc-eight goto system, which looks like quite an elegant solution, and wondered if anybody in the forum owns this mount, and what they think of it's performance & usability?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.