Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Different resolutions stacked?

Datalord

Hey,

In preparation for using my new setup (RASA + APS-C camera), I've been wondering if I can use the new-setup pictures together with the old setup (WO71+APS), so I enhance the existing data with more detail?

I also intend on piggy-backing the WO on the RASA, so for future targets I would get both widefield and slightly lesser widefield in the same evening. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it madness?

I have a dual rig - I sometimes resize the mono subs from my QHY9 to match the subs from my QHY163m (generally HA) using Registar. Before resizing I calibrate the subs (bias, darks and flats). Once all this is done, I can stack subs from both cameras together.

I'm not sure if this method will work as well with OSC data (you'd definitely need to debayer before resizing) and you would most certainly need Registar.

HTH

Rich :icon_biggrin:

I do it all the time Datalord, like Rich I have a dual rig, but also sometimes dig up old data from previous years and add to it.  If I can't get the image size to match for actual stacking, I do it manually.

i.e. I take the different stacks and align them in Registar and then layer one over the other in Photoshop and reduce the top layer to 50%.  

Carole 

You certainly can. It's often called composite imaging and is made easy by Registar. However, a little artistry is needed if you want it to look natural and seamless, especially when there is a big difference in resolution. I resize and co-register my high res to my widefield in Registar but I save them as separate images and then apply the high res in Photoshop. Generally it is best to blur or fade in the high res gradually as a layer and not take it to full opacity.

Olly

Yes, what Carole and Olly say as well! I wasn't sure if you were wanting to 'double up' on subs to put in the same stack or layer in detail from a narrower FOV shot into a wider image.

Layering/masking as above will require PS or similar and will also require careful blending/matching of the component parts.

Rich ?

On 10/08/2017 at 23:35, Datalord said:

Thanks all. Looks like I'll have to fork out $179 on Registar at some point... 

I know it seems a lot of cash for a bit of a 'one trick pony' programme but it does that trick really well!

Archived