Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

35mm Nikon die-hard upgrading

I'm stepping up into the world of DSLR after a very long history of 35mm SLR's and large format cameras

The intention is to also step into the world of astrophotography

Done a fair bit of reading, and it goes against the grain, but it looks like the choice could be a Canon EOS 760D

I wont be modding it as I want it for normal use

BUT

There's always one.

My Nikon choice would be a Nikon D5500  Has wi-fi like the Canon, doesn't have a LP filter, and also has a built in intervalometer

What would be your choice, pro and cons please

Canon but I am biased, these are a few advantages over the Nikon.

Better software support even the bundled EOS utils and DPP are very good.

Can use old M42 lenses without having an adapter with additional lens.

Clip in filters.

Alan

Hope you enjoy your new camera, low-light photography such as astro is where digital has the biggest advantage over film - sensors are many times more sensitive to light. Canons are generally the best budget option but if already you have a collection of Nikon lenses then some of them may be good for astrophotography. Most Nikons require updated firmware to get the best out of them, the D5500 doesn't seem to be listed at the moment, I'm not sure whether that's because it's fine out of the box or whether the developers haven't got around to it.

I own the D5000 but alas, its primary function for me is terrestrial photography for now, although I have snapped the Moon through my Skyliner.
Nikon do provide dedicated astrophotography cameras, but as their a niche market, so are the prices, but the D5500 is listed here with 'their' results......... http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/microsite/astrophotography/getstarted/camera/index.html 

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

I'd go Nikon. Canons are way behind on sensor technology :smile:

According to this link the Nikon D5300 has a higher QE than the Canon 700D, 55% vs 38%, but I can't find figures for the D5500 and 760D. Other sites quote slightly higher figures for Canon but I keep hearing the Nikon sensors are better. The downside is, is there anywhere in the UK that will mod Nikons if the OP or anyone else later decides to go down that route, and they don't want to do it themselves? For imaging nebulae, a second hand modded Canon is still the most cost-effective option.

Personally, for the same price as a new camera I'd prefer to have two second hand ones, one for normal use and a modded one for astro.

Thanks all for your input peeps

20 hours ago, RichLD said:

My choice for a non-modded DSLR would be/is the 6D Mk1. 

Too much for my shallow pockets, absolute max is £500, so that likely rules out the two camera's option.  Lottery win choice would be the 810A

21 hours ago, Charic said:

Cheers, interesting link, more confused now,  some good D5500 pics there

Leaning more towards the 760D though

Need a visit to a camera shop, to get hands on and see how they feel, and see what other options there are for £500

I do want the touch screen and wi-fi though

2 hours ago, Frank the Troll said:

Thanks all for your input peeps

Too much for my shallow pockets, absolute max is £500, so that likely rules out the two camera's option.  Lottery win choice would be the 810A

Cheers, interesting link, more confused now,  some good D5500 pics there

Leaning more towards the 760D though

Need a visit to a camera shop, to get hands on and see how they feel, and see what other options there are for £500

I do want the touch screen and wi-fi though

I have to say I couldn't live without the wifi connectivity on my camera, so handy for shooting wildlife while sitting at my PC.

Alan

4 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I have to say I couldn't live without the wifi connectivity on my camera, so hand for shooting wildlife while sitting at my PC.

Alan

Those were my thoughts for choosing wi-fi, as we live out in the sticks, also have an iphone, so that's another reason

I think both Canon and Nikon have apps for camera control on a mobile or tablet but as far as I know only Canon has the option to do it from a PC for free with the EOS utilities software. I would agree it would be best to get your hands on both models, ergonomics are so important.

Alan

41 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

ergonomics are so important.

Alan

Totally agree with that, as I'm a left hander,  hence the 760D with dial on the left instead of the normal right hand side

Just a shame there isn't a totally manual DLSR with 35mm style dial controls and f.stops ect

4 minutes ago, Frank the Troll said:

Totally agree with that, as I'm a left hander,  hence the 760D with dial on the left instead of the normal right hand side

Just a shame there isn't a totally manual DLSR with 35mm style dial controls and f.stops ect

I had not realized that, the layout is very similar to my 80D , the small LCD screen gets you close to a totally manual setup in my view.

Alan

37 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

the small LCD screen gets you close to a totally manual setup in my view.

Alan

We shall see, need hands on

As someone who is so use to totally manual, and developing your own 35mm negs  and then printing in the darkroom, its going to be quite a learning curve

I'm a happy D5500 owner, no probs with software for Nikon's, BYN back yard Nikon,ControlMyNikon and another one that's a freebie digicamcontrol also a few others and yes it does have updated firmware!.

Steve

15 hours ago, Gasman said:

I'm a happy D5500 owner, no probs with software for Nikon's, BYN back yard Nikon,ControlMyNikon and another one that's a freebie digicamcontrol also a few others and yes it does have updated firmware!.

Steve

Thanks for that Steve

Looking at those apps, it seems the controlMyNikon is the better option, they also do the canon version too

The plus for me on the Nikon is that it doesn't have the optical low-pass filter, and has a built in intervalometer

Cant decide between the two, until I get hands on

dont know if this will muddy the view, I bought the Nikon D7200 last year, and while I havent used it much for astro photography, the odd time I attempted it I haven't been disappointed, yes there are regular updates for Nikon camera's, however, in the last 15 months I have only updated mine once, and it was very easy,free download, plug in camera via supplied usb lead and it does it for you, Must say though, after 35 mm it was /is a huge learning curve, but so much cheaper and quicker than film. good luck, Lum, Also if you are happy with 2nd hand, have you looked at MPB.com, D5500 with shutter counts from 10157 @ £409, just a thought,

11 hours ago, tonylumley said:

dont know if this will muddy the view, I bought the Nikon D7200 last year, have you looked at MPB.com, D5500 with shutter counts from 10157 @ £409, just a thought,

Cheers Tony

The D7200 looks out of my pocket range, its needs to be sub £500

Have booked marked both MPB.com and Camera Jungle, and keeping an eye out on flea bay. Not in a rush as need to wait for Sept for funds

For the canon choice I may drop to the 700d or 750d as I may also go for a cheap ZWO for both imagining and as a guide camera on the ST80

As for the D5500 & 760D choice, will be doing some window shopping during the next week to see how they feel hands on.

Archived