Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cataracts

Alfian

On Monday I was somewhat dismayed to be told by my optician (annual visit) that I have the very beginnings of cataract formation in both eyes.  I was told it was nothing to worry at this stage of things and it was normal for someone of my age. When quizzed about  the way it affects my sight at the moment I was told that reduced contrast and increased dazzle and flaring when looking at bright objects, eg car headlamps at night.  Clearly I had not noticed this so much due to the very gradual onset but it was an immediate thought that I have tried to improve my equipment to improve views, better contrast, fewer aberrations etc, and my eyes are pulling the other way! There is no point in me getting all crossed up about it as, at least for the time being, there is nothing I can do about it. I wondered how others have found this eyesight transition , and I'm sure there must be a few of you out there (or in here), and if there is any useful advice to be had. Thanks.

I am a bit further along the path, having had a cataract operation on one eye about six years ago.  

The result of this is that one eye is now 'bionic' and sees clearly at long range while the non-operated-on eye is good for close-up work and despite being dimmer, is great for making out subtle variations in planetary markings.  

Being able to see distant things clearly, without glasses, almost immediately following the procedure was a welcome experience, and while I wouldn't recommend cataract surgery as a recreational activity, when or if the time comes, it isn't too bad an experience.  

I have similar problems, again not serious enough to warrant surgery yet but it does impact on my astronomical observing. One eye is worse than the other but I do find that binoviewers are a great help.  :icon_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Moonshane said:

I am not affected but could binoviewers help?  Hope the progression is exceedingly slow buddy. Would be happy to meet up sometime if you wanted to try them.

Hi Shane, thats kind and I would indeed like a wince through some binoviewers sometime. I've not much idea at the moment how much it helps but a look would still be good! I'm not getting panicky or anything and it is early days yet and it may be years ( fingers crossed) before it even becomes a significant issue. My eyes in blissful ignorance do not feel any different now than they did last week, just putting feelers out to those that know about these things.

I had both eyes operated on about 4 years apart. Recovery was quick, especially the 2nd time round. My vision is now 20/20 and colour perception more vivid. At the telescope I notice a definite improvement , due possibly to better contrast sensitivity. I must say both cataracts were quite advanced when operated on, so a marked difference was felt. Thanks to our NHS!

Like Ceramus I had both eyes operated on three years ago to remove cataracts. The results were dramatic. I threw away my specs and now have very close on 20/20 vision. Colours and contrast were stronger and I did not realise that my Telescopes were that good. I find the daylight of southern Europe rather bright and tend to wear sunglasses there. Perhaps I should sell all my Astro gear and buy a Spitfire. Good vision is a must to fly one of those.....Dave

3 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

I have similar problems, again not serious enough to warrant surgery yet but it does impact on my astronomical observing. One eye is worse than the other but I do find that binoviewers are a great help.  :icon_biggrin:

Thanks Peter, interesting to hear about the improvement with bino viewers. I'll have to work that one out. Just when I think I've got a nice EP line up!

Thanks to all who give reassurance that there are good results after surgery. We'll just have to see how it goes until then.

16 hours ago, nightfisher said:

Ian, good luck with the eyesight, just a simple fact none of us are getting any younger, my eyes have deteriorated a fair bit this year, i dont think it interferes with astro 

Thanks Jules and sympathies too re' eyes. Yup, nature has its little ways of reminding us that time flows in one direction. Speaking of which, and to go off at a tangent this is interesting if I can get get my head round it!

http://www.iflscience.com/physics/new-explanation-why-time-moves-forward/

I was told I had "the beginnings of cataracts" too. In a 
bizarre sense, I felt almost "glad" to know? At least my
eyes are undergoing a rather comprehensive check with
a modestly priced, high street optician now. :)

Personally I'm also reassured by retinal photographs(!)
they took. My Grandad and Mother quickly developed
peripheral vision re. a retinal "bleeding" of some sort.

As a CURIOUS thing, my eyes have *always* given a
slightly different colour rendition, if I look carefully. ;)
(One of them does need a -6 Diopter correction tho!)

5 hours ago, Macavity said:

I was told I had "the beginnings of cataracts" too. In a 
bizarre sense, I felt almost "glad" to know? At least my
eyes are undergoing a rather comprehensive check with
a modestly priced, high street optician now. :)

Personally I'm also reassured by retinal photographs(!)
they took. My Grandad and Mother quickly developed
peripheral vision re. a retinal "bleeding" of some sort.

As a CURIOUS thing, my eyes have *always* given a
slightly different colour rendition, if I look carefully. ;)
(One of them does need a -6 Diopter correction tho!)

Yes there is a the sense of "knowing" what if anything is going on and retinal photography is good in terms of  ruling out some of the nasties. I have a family history of glaucoma so I've been tested for quite some time and in that respect all is fine. With that perspective  early stage cataracts being a relatively "normal" aspect of aging, I suppose I'm not doing so badly!

Archived