Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Arc minute

Eq6 ra axis worm gear carrier bearings

Hi all

I'm currently in process of maintaining my eq6 mount and noticed that my ra axis worm gear carrier roller bearing(s) have a  bind to them when turning the motor gear. There is a definite stop when turning the gear slowly. It seems that both of the roller bearings at the end of the worm carrier rod  would need replacing (see pic below, of the  bearings that I mean). 

Have others noticed same thing? Does anyone know the item/skf number for these bearings so I could search for replacements from local shops?

Btw the worm gear in both dec and ra axis were covered with huge amount of very sticky black grease and it has been a pain to clean this off. It sticks and stains everything, there are black stains all over the place ?

Thanks for the help!

IMG_2049.JPG

Hi if you remove bearings you will more than likely find a number,if not just take bearings into the local bearing supplier and they will be able to match a suitable replacement,offering a number of qualities,

Regards

Mike

1 hour ago, Arc minute said:

item/skf number for these bearings

Hi. 608rs These are the ones. Any skateboard shop will have them. HTH.

Tried a search of the site but nothing has really popped up as obvious.

There is a  list of the HEQ5 bearing and Laser Jock has a post where he said he has done 2 EQ6 mounts so maybe he has a list of all bearing specifications secreted away on his PC somewhere.

If you search SGL try "EQ6 bearing" that one seems to result in a selection that are applicable but a definitive list would be useful.

There likely is one running around here, just locating it is not simple.

13 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi. 608rs These are the ones. Any skateboard shop will have them. HTH.

Brilliant, thanks!!  I'll go and visit bearing shop tomorrow and also grap some nose pliers on the way too. 

I would suggest buying angular contact bearings if you can find them in the same size. They are better for this job than standard radial bearings and will have a longer life span. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By tooth_dr
      I scrapped all the Oiii and Sii data I previously took during a full moon (about 15 hours worth) and retook it all when the moon was a bit smaller at 76%.  Ha was taken during 98% and 67% moon.  All the lights were taken on the following nights: 12th, 19th and 20th September 2019.
      Integration times, all in 600s subs unbinned:
      Ha = 28.33 hours
      Oiii= = 5.67 hours
      Sii = 5.67 hours

The Ha data is really nice, and unsurprisingly the Oiii and Sii is not as strong (or nice).
      I'm missing that (vital) step in my processing routine of getting the Sii and Oiii properly stretched to match the Ha, before combining.  I dont really know how to deal with the weaker data properly.  Any pointers would be appreciated.
      What I do currently:
      All the data is loaded into APP into separate channels/sessions.
      The data is stacked and registered against the best Ha sub
      This produces individual stacks of Ha, Sii and Oiii that are all registered
      Each channel is processed with DPP in APP and then saved as a 16bit TIFF
      Each is opened in PS
      Stars removed with AA and any remnants removed and tidied up
      I then open a blank RGB document in PS
      I paste Ha into Green, Sii into Red and Oiii into Blue
      Adjust the selective colour settings to get 'Hubble palette'
      Adjust levels, curves, saturation until looks ok
      All the Ha Sii Oiii data is then combined together in a single 'super' stack in APP using quality weighted algorithm to create a 'luminance'
      That luminance layer is adjusted using levels, curves, and NC tools such as local contrast enhancement and deep space noise reduction (using masks to apply as required)
      The luminance is pasted onto the above colour layer, and incrementally added using gaussian blur
      Cropped and saved.

Here it is anyway   I haven't intended on any more exposure time for this one, but will consider it, if the expert opinion dictates otherwise!

CS
      Adam

• By knobby
      Just spent 4 hours resurrecting my AVX mount, it had become so stuff in RA it just wouldn't track at all. Googled as much as I could find and used the http://rocketsparrow.blogspot.com/2017/01/how-i-made-better-celestron-avx.html?m=1 as a guide.
      Decided to use a bearing as discussed in thread. I chose the https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p503131/32007-Premier-Budget-Metric-Single-Row-Taper-Roller-Bearing-35x62x18mm/product_info.html?backstep=1 as the dimensions were perfect ( almost perfect, bearing is 2mm too thick but works fine)
      Cleaned all the gungy grease off and used thin layers of superlube.
      It's so much smoother now and I can actually balance the mount.
      Only problems I had were the 2 bolts that hold the RA and Dec assembly together stripped the mount ! Soft cast ally by the looks of it but there are 4 holes for 2 bolts (almost like Skywatcher knew 😂) and refitting the motor worm assembly is tedious to get backlash adjusted .
      Can't wait to try it out.
      Ps the new bearing wouldn't quite fit til I put the mount in the oven @ 80 degrees and the bearing in the freezer for 5 minutes.
    • By Astrofriend
      Hi,
      My EQ6 mount is old now. Very stiff RA and DEC axis, it's time to dismantle it and see how bad the inside is.
      I followed the Astro Baby guide and it was not any big problem to dismantle it. It looks fine inside, I suspect some earlier owner already have done this cleaning and put new grease on. But that must be years ago.
      When I now have dismantled everything, shall I rebuilt it and install timing belt drives? I feel it's a little to much money to put on this old mount. I have to think about it and see what alternatives there are.
      Here is my EQ6 dismantling story:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-eq6-dismantling-rebuilding/01-eq6-dismantling-rebuilding.html
      Only first part, now I'm drawing plans.
      /Lars
    • By Anne S
      I'm trying to update my v3 handset prior to selling the mount. I need to update the bootloader from v1.0 to v1.7 before I can upgrade the firmware from 3.12 to the newest version. I've tried following the instructions in the bootloader download but the upgrade loader refuses to install anything.
      Before I realised I needed to update the bootloader, the synscan loader v3.3 just showed 255 255 255 where it should display the handset software, ie 3.12.
      Can anyone advise what I'm doing wrong?
      The handset won't run the mount probably because I had a replacement motor control board a few years ago., I'm guessing. It worked fine before that. I've been using eqMod for years.
      Thanks.
      Anne

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.