Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello, New from WA state USA

JsMurf

Hi all. Just joined. Im fairly new to astronomy.  My wife gave me 3 inch reflector for christmas. Prior to that liked to stargaze with binoculars. Since using scope, ive been hooked, but wanted a bit more. Found a used starblast 6" and it is my regular use scope now. Use other occasionally. Im mainly observing, have tried cell phone pic a couple times. Still need practice with that. I have, The Backyard Astronomer and Turn left at Orion for reference material. Have plans made to observe totality of upcoming eclipse in Oregon. 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A  warm welcome to this friendly forum from a German stargazer!

Your 6" f/5 scope is a very capable and versatile instrument, easy to handle, and will give you years of observing pleasure; so resist aperture fever (at least for the moment...). Take it to a dark observing site, and enjoy even more!

Good luck with the Eclipse!

Stephan

Welcome! This forum is a great well of knowledge to draw upon.

I was born and raised in Washington near Yakima, but living in Arkansas now. There are several places out in the desert on the east side of the hills where it is seriously dark. It shouldn't be too hard to find some desolate place to put that scope to good use.

My wife and I are flying out to Sacramento where my son lives this Saturday and driving up to the Albany, Oegon area to witness the eclipse. My first instinct is to go to the John Day fossil beds, but he has a close friend offering us lodging and a 40 acre field. So...

Roger

Welcome from land down under

If you are planning to observe the eclipse on the 21st August, you will need some sort of solar filter for your scope

I use an Orion glass solar filter on my ED80 and Baader solar film for my 10" Dobson

John

Archived