stargazine_ep43_banner.thumb.jpg.ea2a27954a074b4478d83359648ce4e2.jpg

As I am hopeless with DIY, give me a car, bike home electrics or plumbing I`m fine anything else I am rubbish. Well bought this ironing chair second hand from Ebay £9.98 came in bubble wrap on inspecting it the back is cracked and broken. For the price I am not bothered about that but could you kind people give me some ideas as to how replace it please.

20170807_172934.jpg

20170807_172949.jpg

20170807_172955.jpg

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, onlyme said:

you can use para cord to weave (wrap one up one down in a sort of way) between the two back upright arms, would look good and be very comfortable.

My guess this would eventually lead to the two uprights bending inwards making the height function problematic ???? I think the idea of the seat top is to prevent this more so than to act as a back rest. I have always found these ironing stools to encourage more leaning forward than lounging back on. Probably to encourage people to get on with the ironing :D

• Like 1

good point spacey, but the cord does not have to be so tight as to hit the upper C# note every time you lean against it, just tight enough not to have all your upper body weight propped against the cold metal arms.

• Like 1

Drill one hole sideways through each bar, about 10cm from the top..  

Get two short metal L brackets and connect one to each upright securing each with a single bolt and locking nut so that one flat side of each bracket runs parallel to the back of the seat and the brackets a flush with the front of each upright.

Cut a piece of wood to make a back rest.  If necessary, glue in small packing pieces of wood to ensure the backrest sits tight against the uprights.

Secure the back of the wooden backrest to the brackets with wood screws.

Simples.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By martinux
      Due to an unfortunate accident my SN10 primary mirror is broken. While it was an unwieldy beast and pretty much required a complete rebuild when I got it from the previous owner I really loved it.  
      My understanding, thanks to discussions between owners of this OTA, is that the SN10 used a spherical mirror. However Meade's representative did not wish to confirm this "proprietary information" after stating that they could not sell me a replacement. 
      So, I'm stuck with a bit of a quandary: do I roll the dice and attempt to get a spherical mirror constructed? (I doubt that non-parabolic mirrors are routinely manufactured and would probably come at a price-premium). I have read anecdotal discussions that the primaries are somehow "matched" to the schmitt correctors which, I must admit, makes no sense to me as I thought that a spherical mirror was manufactured with a uniform curvature. Thus, without more information, I'm thinking that this could be an expensive and ultimately unworkable solution. 
      Alternatively, do I cut my losses and replace it with something like a Skywatcher 250P?
      Any other suggestions? 

Many thanks for taking the time to read this and for any advice you can render.
    • By Andrew Bennett
      Hi
      I have a Skywatcher Newtonian telescope ( D:200, f:1000) The other day I noticed that the 'O' ring which was attached to the finder scope had broken.  After a bit of digging around, I obtained what I believe is the correct size replacement ( 1.5 mm thickness, 52mm internal diameter).  However, I can't see how it attaches to the finder scope !  Can anyone offer some guidance ?  Many thanks in advance.
      Andrew
    • By Fabiolus
      Good day,
      I own a  skywatcher Heq5 pro mount, its awesome!
      I just realized the AC wire for my AC / DC adapter is broken (see pic 1). I found another AC wire from an old AC adapter and was wondering if this is ok?  I see the gauge wire is bigger  though and wonder if it matters?
      I am thinking of cutting near the female adapter and soldering it back to the entire length of wire that came from the laptop adapter even though the gauge is bigger. ( see pic 2).
      Thank you.

• By Astrofriend
      Hi,
      Last night when we was out in the night to do astro photographing I got problem with my Star Adventurer mount. The friction coupling in RA axis got stuck and I have difficulties to aim the camera to the object.
      Today I have dismantled the mount to find what the problem is with it. I got to repair it, I took photos from my disassembling and repair that I think can be interesting for others to look at and read.
      Here is the link to my homepage:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-star-adventurer-part2-repair/project-star-adventurer-part2-repair.html
      Have any other of you had a simular problem with the Star Adventurer mount?
      BR
      Lars
    • By SJBob
      Repairing a Tal MT3A Mount STEPPER MOTOR Help... 
      Before anyone says "why bother" let me just answer because I'm not ready to pick up a Losmandy at the moment... 
      So I have a Tal 200K which I have enjoyed quite a lot. I have always known that the single motor MT3A mount was less than ideal but it works and if nothing else, an 8" Russian made Kletsov catadioptric scope on a super solid peer mount is a pretty good conversation starter, and some of the views I've seen of Jupiter, especially with a 16mm Nagler - well they were amazing...  
      So a few months ago the mount stopped tracking and slewing at a star party.   I could hear that the motor was spinning or making noise, but the mount was definitely not moving under the motor control.  I might have just waited and bought something else, but I've had some major expenses plus I'm expecting another due to a large move about to take place so I can't justify spending the money at the moment, BUT I would really like to have a working mount for the Mars opposition in July. So I decided to tear it down and take a good look.
      I was able to pull the mount casing apart ... and kept going, largely thanks to the PDF AndyH so kindly shared with me that had all the great teardown photos .. despite the native German which apparently  translates into comical English with Google Translate ("Loosen the maggot whisk and the grub screws..."  is that right??? ) 
      The part that took me some time was realizng after removing the screws holding the case together and removing the setting circles and springs, that it was pretty difficult to unscrew the collar holding the drive shaft in the mount casing.  For that I had to use a long screw placed into a hole in the collar as a kind of spoke to get some leverage to unscrew it.  Once it started it was easy.  Next I was more apprehensive about the drive shaft- The shaft fits through 2 bearings that had not seen freedom in 15 years, so I had to wack the shaft pretty darn hard from one end to break it free.  I did this (again thanks to the photo in the pdf) using a block of wood over the end of the sharft - hitting the wood with a small hammer, and then a larger hammer. Like the collar once it was freed up it was easy to slide it through. 
      From there I just took stuff apart until I got into the drive gearbox.  The small clock-like gear assembly was not difficult to remove and finally I got a good view of the stepper motor.  At first I thought the gear was slipping on the shaft but it winds up being more serious.  I removed the gear (loosened the 2 grub screws.. or were the maggot whisks?.. ;-)  Of course I kept all the little screws in a secure place and tried to keep them attached to their mating parts when possible. But I think I'll be able to reassemble things..  
      I don't see any broken gears.  My idea is to clean them up and lubricate them with a good quality lithium grease.  
      THE STEPPER MOTOR
      I hooked up power and the controller and  I clearly saw the drive gear is not slipping, but the motor is slipping, - internally.  So I need to either repair the motor which no longer has the torque needed to drive the mechanism, or replace it.  There's no way I can get the original motor (Tal is out of the astronomy biz and in Russia), and I don't know the specs about the motor to know how to ID it properly with an equivalent.  It may be a type NEMA 17 with 6 leads. They aren't that expensive but will it fit? (looks pretty darn similar) Will the gear fit? Does it take the same signals/control voltages?  etc.    Alternatively Can the motor be repaired?  I don't know much about stepper motors so I have non idea.. 
      I know that stepper motors measure steps in degrees, and I imagine there's a spec that specifies the rate of spin, but I' don't  know how to find this out for the motor in the MT3S.  I have seen a NEMA 17 stepper motor in Amazon and it's less than $20, has 6 leads and has a 1.8 degree step.  I might just take a chance and buy the motor and see if I can figure out the wiring.. if it's the same voltage...??... 
      I've attached an image of the printing on the motor and a short video showing it's unfortunate behavior.
      If anyone has any suggestions how I can move forward I'd really appreciate it. 
      Cheers.
      Bob 

TalMT3S-StepperMotor.mp4  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.