Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

baader apo 95/560 caf2 travel companion

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Very lovely sounding scope, not heard too much about them though.

How long is the waiting list?

Not sure.  I went on the list a few months ago and have been assured it will be ready in time for our trip to Yosemite next June.  Hopefully sooner.

Clem

Not heard of this one before. Interesting although a lot of £/$ per inch !

I expect they are superb inches though :icon_biggrin:

Edit: just found some info on the scope from Baader. Very nice !

16 minutes ago, John said:

Not heard of this one before. Interesting although a lot of £/$ per inch !

I expect they are superb inches though :icon_biggrin:

Edit: just found some info on the scope from Baader. Very nice !

I own a SkyVision 20" f3/3 goto dob, amazing scope.  Took it to kelling last Spring Star Party.  Place was full of all manner of scopes but it was cloudy all week, typical kelling, too near the coast.  Didn't get to use it and when Sunday came most people packed up and went home.  My wife and I were staying in one of the cabins till Monday.  I didn't want to leave the scope out in the middle of the field alone so I packed it away.  The forecast was cloudy again anyway.  Popped into the bar that night for a quick jar and when we came out it was clear!  I had my StellarVur 60mm Apo set up on a Gitzo tripod in the cabin.  I grabbed it one handed and dashed down to the plots before it clouded over and had a great time.  Amazing what you can see with any size scope when in a dark site.  I made my mind up at that point I would get the best truly grab and go refractor I could afford.  The Baader is only 1.3Kilos and has a florite element.  It is in my view the finest scope ever made in terms of portability, size, weight and quality.  I know some will disagree but I'll let you know when I get mine.

Clem

e_baader-apo-95-560-travel-companion_review_no-ads_ATT-US.pdf_thumb.jpg

201609_Baa95.pdf_thumb.jpg

10 minutes ago, NGC007 said:

....  Amazing what you can see with any size scope when in a dark site.  I made my mind up at that point I would get the best truly grab and go refractor I could afford.  The Baader is only 1.3Kilos and has a florite element.  It is in my view the finest scope ever made in terms of portability, size, weight and quality.  I know some will disagree but I'll let you know when I get mine....

Very true about the difference a dark site makes :icon_biggrin:

I guess the owners of AP Stowaways would argue that they have the best portable fracs around but the Baader does sound a class act as well.

Personally I've found 100mm the smallest aperture that satisfies. I purchased my Tak FC-100DL last year with similar ambitions to yourself in that aperture class. Ultimate portability was not quite so high on my list so F/9 was fine.

Hope the wait is not too long and that the scope delivers all your aspirations for it :icon_biggrin:

3 minutes ago, John said:

Very true about the difference a dark site makes :icon_biggrin:

I guess the owners of AP Stowaways would argue that they have the best portable fracs around but the Baader does sound a class act as well.

Personally I've found 100mm the smallest aperture that satisfies. I purchased my Tak FC-100DL last year with similar ambitions to yourself in that aperture class. Ultimate portability was not quite so high on my list so F/9 was fine.

Hope the wait is not too long and that the scope delivers all your aspirations for it :icon_biggrin:

Noticed my attachments are not very good.  Here is the link to info.

http://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/baader-apo-95560-caf2-travel-companion.html

Clem

26 minutes ago, NGC007 said:

I own a SkyVision 20" f3/3 goto dob, amazing scope.  Took it to kelling last Spring Star Party.  Place was full of all manner of scopes but it was cloudy all week, typical kelling, too near the coast.  Didn't get to use it and when Sunday came most people packed up and went home.  My wife and I were staying in one of the cabins till Monday.  I didn't want to leave the scope out in the middle of the field alone so I packed it away.  The forecast was cloudy again anyway.  Popped into the bar that night for a quick jar and when we came out it was clear!  I had my StellarVur 60mm Apo set up on a Gitzo tripod in the cabin.  I grabbed it one handed and dashed down to the plots before it clouded over and had a great time.  Amazing what you can see with any size scope when in a dark site.  I made my mind up at that point I would get the best truly grab and go refractor I could afford.  The Baader is only 1.3Kilos and has a florite element.  It is in my view the finest scope ever made in terms of portability, size, weight and quality.  I know some will disagree but I'll let you know when I get mine.

Clem

e_baader-apo-95-560-travel-companion_review_no-ads_ATT-US.pdf_thumb.jpg

201609_Baa95.pdf_thumb.jpg

I agree, I have had some amazing sessions with my 60mm Tak under very dark African skies and it is capable of delivering a very satisfying observing experience.

The Baader sounds great.  I look forward to reading about your experiences.

3 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

I agree, I have had some amazing sessions with my 60mm Tak under very dark African skies and it is capable of delivering a very satisfying observing experience.

The Baader sounds great.  I look forward to reading about your experiences.

Make no mistake, my 20" SkyVision is my scope of choice but it is not always the best scope in every situation.  

Will post a full review when I get hold of it.

Clem

57 minutes ago, TheMightyKong said:

Looks lovely.  Any idea who makes the optics?

Baader/Zeiss I think.  I once owned a 110 Tec oil spaced triplet (non Flourite) and the contrast was awsome.  This sounds better, I hope.

• 2 months later...
On 06/11/2017 at 05:29, TheMightyKong said:

Hi, any update?

Yes, I sent the money over today and I should have it in a few days.  Looking forward to this one very much. Will let you know my first impressions as soon as I get it.

50 minutes ago, NGC007 said:

It arrives on Tuesday.  Guess I’ll be working from home that day!  

Looking forward to seeing more when it arrives. The baader website gave me a chuckle - basically it says 'don't even think about ordering one, there is already a massive queue' ?

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, GavStar said:

Any updates on this? Hope it arrived all ok?

Yes, it arrived!  Used it twice so far and its outside right now calling me.  Intend to post first impressions and first light this weekend but I must say that even after 40  yrs observing I am gobsmacked by this little wonder scope already!

Clem

27 minutes ago, NGC007 said:

Yes, it arrived!  Used it twice so far and its outside right now calling me.  Intend to post first impressions and first light this weekend but I must say that even after 40  yrs observing I am gobsmacked by this little wonder scope already!

Clem

Sounds wonderful Clem, just my sort of scope :)

I love forward to hearing all about it.

1 hour ago, NGC007 said:

Clem

Great news. I await further views! ?

Archived