Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_rgb.jpg.9467c4d39b22ba8239e1b5ad252fcee2.jpg

alexwolf

Volunteers wanted: nebulae outlines for Stellarium/SkyChart

alexwolf    208

Today Stellarium's development team published version 0.90.0.9732 with support of outlines for deep-sky objects.

We use the compatible with SkyChart (Cartes du Ciel) format of file for storing an outlines data for deep-sky objects. For example the outline for M42 is represented by this lines:

05.56401 -05.49880 start  M 42 
05.56759 -05.39201 vertex 
05.56635 -05.31749 vertex 
05.57158 -05.21922 vertex 
05.57601 -05.21716 vertex 
05.58830 -05.30164 vertex 
05.59140 -05.34341 vertex 
05.59028 -05.37076 vertex 
05.59008 -05.38175 vertex 
05.59581 -05.37159 vertex 
05.59943 -05.47123 vertex 
05.59912 -05.65838 vertex 
05.59520 -05.73212 vertex 
05.58490 -05.68102 vertex 
05.56948 -05.57675 end

First column is right ascension in decimal hours, the second column is declination in decimal degrees and third column is command (start, vertex, end). The command 'start' has name of DSO also.

Our outlines.dat file was partially got from CdC/SkyChart.

Now we want to get a volunteers, who can help us create a good outlines for big deep-sky objects for two projects - Stellarium and Cartes du Ciel/SkyChart.

Skipper Billy    1,473

Hi Alexander - you have put SO much into this project which you freely share with us and I would love to be able to give something back.

The above is mostly gobbledegook to me but if its something my tiny brain can get to grips with then count me in !

• Like 2

alexwolf    208
On 07.08.2017 at 01:10, Skipper Billy said:

The above is mostly gobbledegook to me but if its something my tiny brain can get to grips with then count me in !

Could you say what is confusing you? Maybe I can explain it?

han59    45
Posted (edited)

Hello Alexander,

Good initiative.

It would be nice to have more outlines in the public domain. The make outlines of deep sky objects, a good tool is required to become productive. For people who are interested, HNSKY provides a drawing tool where you can draw lines and edit the points with DSS images as background. Result is saved in CSV format.

Here a YouTube video from 2015 showing how it is done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW-kU6ghTcs

Work flow:

- Download a DSS image as background.(red or blue) Or load any other  plate solved image.

- Draw the outline by clicking with the mouse.

- Edit, remove or add points as required.

- Save result supplement 2 (CSV format)

It is not a full CAD program, but a simple routine. However, it allows making a deep sky outline in 5 minutes. The CSV format can be quickly converted to another format. Every line contains a RA, DEC position and move or draw line instruction.

Note that most deep sky objects don't have a clear boundary and are better represented by an image of different gray levels. I have tried to make a new outline of the Milky Way with a software program but noted that the outlines can be placed almost everywhere depending on the detection level and gave up on that idea.

Some outline examples are available in HNSKY

Regards,

Han

An example:

image_85043.png.21bb3905bda9b88d3de47c773a84af8f.png

Edited by han59
  • Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lux eterna
      Hi all,
      Last November I imaged the Bubble on a few occations with my Meade LX200-ACF and Nikon D7000 on SW HEQ5 Pro, guided with a standalone Nexguider. I managed some 10 hours under pretty good skies, plus 2 hours with H-alpha filter from my small town backyard. So almost 12 hours together (after rejecting every sub with just the slightest defect like non-circular or diffuse small stars).
      Registering (aligning) was done in Registar, and stacking & processing in PS. I also used the Straton software that removes (most of) the stars, after initial stretching, then I put them back using the "lighten" blending mode.
      C & C most welcome
      Ragnar

• By steppenwolf
      IC 410 – The Tadpoles
      IC 410 (‘The Tadpoles’) is a fascinating region of nebulosity in the Constellation of Auriga. This dusty star-forming region is part of a larger area of nebulosity that also contains IC405 (’The Flaming Star Nebula’) located around 13000 light years away. The gorgeous shapes within the nebula are sculpted from immense stellar winds from radiation developed by the large, hot young stars in the embedded open star cluster, NGC 1893.
      The two immense, dense structures radiating away from the centre of the nebula give it its common name ‘The Tadpoles’. These are the remnants of vast pillars of dust and gas left over from the formation of the star cluster itself.
      My main imaging focus recently has been to capture Ha data for B33 (‘The Horsehead Nebula’) but this object only rises above my local horizon after 22.00 so to fill the time while I wait for the Horse to arrive, I decided to capture IC 410 but the clear nights have – of course – coincided with the presence of the Moon ......... thank goodness for 3nm filters! I added my most recent data to that captured in October, 2017 to complete this phase of the image.
      Image Stats
      Mount: Mesu 200
      Telescope: Sky-Watcher Esprit 150
      Flattener: Sky-Watcher Esprit specific
      Camera: QSI 683 WSG-8
      Filter: Astrodon 3nm Ha
      Subframes: 22 x 1800 sec Ha
      Integration: 11 hours
      Control: CCD Commander
      Capture: MaxIM DL
      Calibration and Stacking: PixInsight
      Post-Processing: PhotoShop PS3
      The Tadpoles

• By beka
      Hi All,
      Recently in my effort to image Pluto, I used Stellarium to locate its position and compare the star fields with my image. I finally succeeded but my effort was made more difficult by a star that was visible in Stellarium near HIP 94372,  but absent in my image Pluto Image post. On checking further I concluded that the error was in the NOMAD catalog used by Stellarium. If this is indeed the case does anyone know how this error can be reported and corrected? 
      Best
    • By MikeODay
      The Great Barred Spiral Galaxy ( NGC 1365 ) in the constellation Fornax

NGC 1365  ( please click / tap on image to see larger )
      The Great Barred Spiral Galaxy (  NGC 1365 ) in the Constellation Fornax
      Below the equator, not seen from much of the Northern hemisphere, NGC 1365 passes very nearly directly overhead an observer situated near Cape Town, as Sir John Herschel was in November of 1837, or near Sydney, as I was, almost exactly 180 years later, when I photographed this “remarkable nebula” that is numbered 2552 in his book of observations from the Cape.
      Not called a “nebula” now, of course, this striking object is one of the nearest and most studied examples of a barred spiral ( SB ) galaxy that also has an active galactic nuclei resulting in its designation as a Seyfert galaxy.
      At around 60 M light years from Earth, NGC 1365 is still seen to occupy a relatively large area ( 12 by 6 arc minutes ) due to its great size; at some 200,000 light years or so across, NGC 1365 is nearly twice as wide as the Milky Way and considerably wider than both the Sculptor and Andromeda galaxies.
      This High Dynamic Range ( HDR ) image is built up from multiple exposures ranging from 4 to 120 seconds with the aim of capturing the faint detail in the spiral arms of the galaxy whilst also retaining colour in the brightest star ( the orange-red 7th magnitude giant, HD 22425 ).  Also, scattered throughout the image, and somewhat more difficult to see, are numerous and far more distant galaxies with apparent magnitudes of 16 to 18 or greater.
      Mike O'Day

Identification:
      The Great Barred Spiral Galaxy
      New General Catalogue -  NGC 1365
      General Catalogue -  GC 731
      John Herschel ( Cape of Good Hope ) # 2552 - Nov 28, 29 1837
      Principal Galaxy Catlogue - PCG 13179
      ESO 358-17
      IRAS 03317-3618
      RA (2000.0) 3h 33m 37.2 s
      DEC (2000.0) -36 deg 8' 36.5"
      10th magnitude Seyfert-type galaxy in the Fornaux cluster of galaxies
      200 Kly diameter
      60 Mly distance

Capture Details:
      Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1400mm f4.7
      Mount: Skywatcher EQ
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 
      Camera:  Nikon D7500 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.7mm, 5568x3712 @ 4.196um pixels)
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )
      Capture ( 22 Nov 2017 )
      6 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 4s to 120s ) all at ISO400.
      70 x 120s + 5 each @ 4s to 60s
      total around 2.5hrs 

Processing ( Pixinsight )
      Calibration: master bias, master flat and no darks
      Integration in 6 sets
      HDR combination 
      Image - Plate Solution
      ==========================================
      Resolution ........ 1.328 arcsec/px
      Rotation .......... -0.008 deg  ( North is up )
      Field of view ..... 58' 8.6" x 38' 47.5"
      Image center ...... RA: 03 33 41.182  Dec: -36 07 46.71
      ==========================================
    • By wavydavy
      Heres my version of NGC 7000 and the Pelican nebula, taken back in 2015, through my William optics zenithstar 70ED with focal reducer. To fit it all in I did a 4 pane mosaic. Think the subs where 15 x 6 mins for each pane..........hope you like.