sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_3.thumb.jpg.30e9b298c34c80517e8b443ce153fce3.jpg

I managed to get some solar imaging in this afternoon.  Today I used the white light solar film filter not the solar glass filter with better results than my previous attempt. Still battling some wind and passing clouds. Location Mandurah Western Australia.

First full disc solar image is a single exposure handheld afocal with the Sony Cybershot 14mp compact digital camera near a 40mm Plossl eyepiece in the C8i SCT,

The second and third image is with the ZWO ASI225MC stacked and aligned in AutoStakkert, 112 frames with the third image a full res crop. Wavelets in Registax, final edit in PaintDotNet.

The forth image is handheld afocal with the Sony Cybershot 14mp compact digital camera showing an eyepiece view with the 40mm Plossl with passing light cloud over the sun, limited editing for this one.

59870e9c7a018_DSC04049Sunspot26652670.thumb.jpg.fcfe30421264866a4398326c0d551cf5.jpg

59870fb53a685_15_07_06_lapl5_ap255Final112FramesSolarSunspot2665-70.png.ba35abe9f7b75231a54f9efd6c58a42f.png

5987102b2d033_Final112FramesSolarSunspot2665-70.png.8c714c008ac207f82f778e0e8f8dff8c.png

598710780cdd6_DSC04053Sunspot2665-70.thumb.jpg.4a0fa396a26553e8200fcbaa7b380415.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks guys. I believe it to be one of my better attempts although conditions are still not great here and I was late getting out there. The sun was probably 50-60 degrees above the horizon and dropping. I don't do as much solar as I would like due to work and the weather hasn't helped either, it's been cruddy for weeks.

I'm still not sure how far to take it as far as the granulation goes and feel I've overcooked that second image and was on my way to doing the same with the third image but held back on that one.

@Freddie it would be interesting to see the change if you can get out and image it :)

Edited by Aussie Dave

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Del Russel
      Hi guys,
      I wonder if anyone is able to help me.
      Recently bought the ZWOASI224c and connected it to my SW 80x600 appo doublet unguided. Have taken videos and stills of Jupiter and processed with Sharpcap, AS and Registax but the results from Registax are appauling.
      Have been using this scope with a x2 Barlow and my Panasonic GX8 and getting very reasonable results so dissapointed with the ZWO so far.
      Any suggestions would be most appreciated, thanks in advance. Images to follow

• By Aussie Dave
      Crater Clavius taken on the same night as before, different video, smaller ROI, the best from the night.
      Saxon 8" Maksutov, SkyWatcher EQ5, ZWO ASI224MC. Captured in SharpCap, stacked in AutoStakkert, wavelets in RegiStax, edited in PaintDotNet. Conditions good from Mandurah, Western Australia.
      5505 frames captured from a 3 minute video, 25% (825) best frames stacked.

• By Aussie Dave
      My main target early this morning was Crater Clavius but I decided to capture an extra video above and below it as conditions seemed good on live view. Detail could be seem on live view of the inside of the Clavius crater walls with brief glimpses of craterlets and small flows on the crater floor. This image is a vertical 3 pane stitch.
      Saxon 8" Maksutov, SkyWatcher EQ5, ZWO ASI224MC. Captured in SharpCap, stacked in AutoStakkert, wavelets in RegiStax, stitched in Image Composite Editor, edited in PaintDotNet. Conditions good from Mandurah, Western Australia.

• By Aussie Dave
      Saturn from the 23rd of June 2018.
      Captured in SharpCap, stacked in AutoStakkert, wavelets in RegiStax, edited in PaintDotNet.
      Saxon 8" Mak, SkyWatcher EQ5, ZWO ASI224MC with Tele Vue 2.5x Powermate. Conditions poor to average from Mandurah, Western Australia.

• By Aussie Dave
      Jupiter and two moons from the 18th of May.
      Captured in SharpCap, stacked in AutoStakkert, wavelets in RegiStax, edited in PaintDotNet.
      Orion Starmax 90mm Mak, SkyWatcher EQ5, ZWO ASI224MC with a Meade 2x Telenegative. Imaged from a suburban backyard in Mandurah, Western Australia. Conditions poor to average.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.