Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

Captured this afternoon in Mandurah, Western Australia.

Taken with the ZWO ASI224MC and the Celestron 8i SCT with focal extension tubes and white light solar film filter. A two minute video was captured with the final image being cropped and having 10%, 112 frames aligned and stacked in Autostakkert 3, wavelets in Registax 6, edited in PaintDotNet.

59870b8e63304_Final112FramesSolarSunspot2665-70.png.dd8ab5fb8b44fc4a8814c39d727a0d5b.png

Edited by Aussie Dave
  • Like 2

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Davenn
      The Sun today - 07 May 2019 0130UT (1130 AEST)
      Lunt LS60THa single frame exposures with an ASI 1600MM
      AR2740 with AR2741 just coming around the limb

This last one using a Televue 2.5x Powermate

cheers
      Dave
    • By Owmuchonomy
      For sale is my Daystar Quark, Chromosphere version.  It has had infrequent use and I can't justify keeping it. Works superbly with my ED80.  It was purchased in July 2017 from Widescreen Centre so is still well within the 5 year warranty period.  I am looking for £625 posted to a UK mainland address.  Everything is complete in the box including instructions, USB cable and power adaptor.  Payment by bank transfer please.

• By Hughsie
      Last summer I spent a lot of time observing and imaging the sun with a WO Z61 and Quark Chromosphere. Recently I have acquired a WO Z103 and if the sun ever comes out I would like to use this refractor for imaging as well. Question I have is with the wider aperture of the Z103, is it safe to use with the Quark and is an energy rejection filter needed?
      I previously read that it should be ok up to c100mm without an ERF but I cannot see any reference to this on now on the Daystar website.
      Thoughts welcome.

• By ThomasLondon
      Hi,
      I currently have a Lunt 50THa and I am looking for something showing more detail and contrast on the sun's surface. I have been considering the new Meade SolarMax III 70 Double Stack, the Lunt 60 with DS (fairly expensive in comparison) and now stumbled across the Daystar Chromosphere. My key considerations:
      - I love that I can just take out the Lunt at lunch time, put it on a photographic tripod, and I am up and running in about 5min. 
      - When travelling, it would be easier to have one telescope to take with me for day and night use
      - Cost is certainly an aspect - I do not want to spend more than about 3000 pounds.
      May I get your input on a couple of assumptions I am making (and which may be completely wrong - sorry, I am not a telescope expert, I just love using them...)
      - The only purpose of double stacking is to get a narrower bandwidth using (cheaper) filters with a wider bandwidth - by using two 0.7nm filters tuned to slightly different bandwidth the Lunt and the Coronado achieve 0.5nm effective transmission.
      - A Daystar Chromosphere with a transmission of <= 0.5nm will hence show me the same detail as a Lunt or Coronado Double Stack with a single Etalon
      - A refractor up to 80mm does not require an additional ERF
      - A relatively cheap achromat will do - as I am only observing at a single wavelength, the correction for multiple wavelengths really does not make a difference (at least for H alpha)
      So on that background I guess an 80mm refractor with the DayStar will give me a really good solution  am I right?
      Best
      Thomas
    • By MalVeauX
      Hello from Florida, ?
      I wasn't able to image the 4th and final day as AR2729 rounded the limb due to work, but I was able to latch on for three days while it had lovely visible umbra. This is spanning December 5th, 6th and 7th. Imaged in 6562.8A wavelength.
      B&W:

Colored:

Captured with:
      Celestron 150mm F8 Refractor (CR150HD)
      Daystar 150mm ERF
      Daystar Quark Chromosphere
      ASI174MM Camera with 2" GSO 0.5x Focal Reducer
      Very best,

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.