Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Jonathan Rees

iPhone Pic: Jupiter, Io, Callisto, Ganymede, and Europa (not necessarily in that order).

iPhone picture taken April 15th from central Illinois, USA. 

Not bad, all things considered. A few days later, I acquired a Celestron Solar Sustem Imager camera.

IMG_8461.JPG

• Like 9

Nice picture, not easy to do. Here is the right order for the moons :) 

IMG_3227.PNG

• Like 1

On 8/7/2017 at 16:05, Stu said:

Nice picture, not easy to do. Here is the right order for the moons :) 

IMG_3227.PNG

Thanks! i knew that at the time, but time has robbed me of the memory. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2017 at 23:59, Jonathan Rees said:

Single shot.

for a single shot it was expected that u wouldnt get any detail, alltough in my opinion you should have lowered brightness.

On 8/13/2017 at 17:25, Ahgii said:

for a single shot it was expected that u wouldnt get any detail, alltough in my opinion you should have lowered brightness.

I totally agree! 
For the record, I did lower the brightness, but because I was holding an iPhone up to the lens, the brightness level kept resetting. If you haven't tried, it isn't easy to take a photo that way. Still, not a bad first try.

3 minutes ago, Jonathan Rees said:

I totally agree! 
For the record, I did lower the brightness, but because I was holding an iPhone up to the lens, the brightness level kept resetting. If you haven't tried, it isn't easy to take a photo that way. Still, not a bad first try.

Oh yes i agree it is quite nerve racking to take a photo like that, did you use stock camera app? I personally use ProCam4 to take all my vids and pictures, and i believe you can lock the exposure in procam4 (or it wont change by itself not sure). Clear skies!

Edited by Ahgii
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ahgii said:

Oh yes i agree it is quite nerve racking to take a photo like that, did you use stock camera app? I personally use ProCam4 to take all my vids and pictures, and i believe you can lock the exposure in procam4 (or it wont change by itself not sure). Clear skies!

I used the stock camera app. I have since purchased a phone rig that attached to the eyepiece. It still requires a little patience, but works pretty good. I have also recently purchased a DSLR. I doubt I take many more astro-pics with my iPhone...except for fun. I would like to retry the Jupiter pic and dump it into Registax to see what happens. 

Just now, Jonathan Rees said:

I used the stock camera app. I have since purchased a phone rig that attached to the eyepiece. It still requires a little patience, but works pretty good. I have also recently purchased a DSLR. I doubt I take many more astro-pics with my iPhone...except for fun. I would like to retry the Jupiter pic and dump it into Registax to see what happens. 

Unfortunately for me, a phone is all i have, so all my pictures are from a phone. I plan getting a DSLR in the future. :)

• Like 1

Just now, Ahgii said:

Unfortunately for me, a phone is all i have, so all my pictures are from a phone. I plan getting a DSLR in the future. :)

The thing that sold me on the DSLR was that with the telescope camera I had from Celestron (solar system imager), I couldn't get the full sun or moon in the picture frame.  You can probably find a used DSLR Canon Rebel 3 for $250 (U.S. $) and add another $50-60 for the telescope adapters, focal reducer, and extension tube. It is a pricey investment, but it is worth it.

2 minutes ago, Jonathan Rees said:

The thing that sold me on the DSLR was that with the telescope camera I had from Celestron (solar system imager), I couldn't get the full sun or moon in the picture frame.  You can probably find a used DSLR Canon Rebel 3 for $250 (U.S. $) and add another $50-60 for the telescope adapters, focal reducer, and extension tube. It is a pricey investment, but it is worth it.

The main reason i wanna get a DSLR is because i want to do normal photography beside planetary imaging and astrophotography. I was thinking of getting a 700D, seems like a prettty good camera for what i want.

1 minute ago, Ahgii said:

The main reason i wanna get a DSLR is because i want to do normal photography beside planetary imaging and astrophotography. I was thinking of getting a 700D, seems like a prettty good camera for what i want.

I have the 1300D. I love it! I took action photos over the weekend at my son's (American) football game. It was the first time I used the camera for anything like that and with very few exception, the pictures turned out great. For normal and astrophotography, it seems you can't go wrong with any EOS.

• Thanks 1