SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

iPhone Pic: Jupiter, Io, Callisto, Ganymede, and Europa (not necessarily in that order).

Jonathan Rees

On 8/7/2017 at 23:59, Jonathan Rees said:

Single shot.

for a single shot it was expected that u wouldnt get any detail, alltough in my opinion you should have lowered brightness.

On 8/13/2017 at 17:25, Ahgii said:

for a single shot it was expected that u wouldnt get any detail, alltough in my opinion you should have lowered brightness.

I totally agree! 
For the record, I did lower the brightness, but because I was holding an iPhone up to the lens, the brightness level kept resetting. If you haven't tried, it isn't easy to take a photo that way. Still, not a bad first try.

3 minutes ago, Jonathan Rees said:

I totally agree! 
For the record, I did lower the brightness, but because I was holding an iPhone up to the lens, the brightness level kept resetting. If you haven't tried, it isn't easy to take a photo that way. Still, not a bad first try.

Oh yes i agree it is quite nerve racking to take a photo like that, did you use stock camera app? I personally use ProCam4 to take all my vids and pictures, and i believe you can lock the exposure in procam4 (or it wont change by itself not sure). Clear skies!

16 minutes ago, Ahgii said:

Oh yes i agree it is quite nerve racking to take a photo like that, did you use stock camera app? I personally use ProCam4 to take all my vids and pictures, and i believe you can lock the exposure in procam4 (or it wont change by itself not sure). Clear skies!

I used the stock camera app. I have since purchased a phone rig that attached to the eyepiece. It still requires a little patience, but works pretty good. I have also recently purchased a DSLR. I doubt I take many more astro-pics with my iPhone...except for fun. I would like to retry the Jupiter pic and dump it into Registax to see what happens. 

Just now, Jonathan Rees said:

I used the stock camera app. I have since purchased a phone rig that attached to the eyepiece. It still requires a little patience, but works pretty good. I have also recently purchased a DSLR. I doubt I take many more astro-pics with my iPhone...except for fun. I would like to retry the Jupiter pic and dump it into Registax to see what happens. 

Unfortunately for me, a phone is all i have, so all my pictures are from a phone. I plan getting a DSLR in the future. :)

Just now, Ahgii said:

Unfortunately for me, a phone is all i have, so all my pictures are from a phone. I plan getting a DSLR in the future. :)

The thing that sold me on the DSLR was that with the telescope camera I had from Celestron (solar system imager), I couldn't get the full sun or moon in the picture frame.  You can probably find a used DSLR Canon Rebel 3 for $250 (U.S. $) and add another $50-60 for the telescope adapters, focal reducer, and extension tube. It is a pricey investment, but it is worth it.

2 minutes ago, Jonathan Rees said:

The thing that sold me on the DSLR was that with the telescope camera I had from Celestron (solar system imager), I couldn't get the full sun or moon in the picture frame.  You can probably find a used DSLR Canon Rebel 3 for $250 (U.S. $) and add another $50-60 for the telescope adapters, focal reducer, and extension tube. It is a pricey investment, but it is worth it.

The main reason i wanna get a DSLR is because i want to do normal photography beside planetary imaging and astrophotography. I was thinking of getting a 700D, seems like a prettty good camera for what i want.

1 minute ago, Ahgii said:

The main reason i wanna get a DSLR is because i want to do normal photography beside planetary imaging and astrophotography. I was thinking of getting a 700D, seems like a prettty good camera for what i want.

I have the 1300D. I love it! I took action photos over the weekend at my son's (American) football game. It was the first time I used the camera for anything like that and with very few exception, the pictures turned out great. For normal and astrophotography, it seems you can't go wrong with any EOS.

Archived