Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lacerta 2" Herschel Wedge - First Light

After deliberating for a couple of weeks over which Herschel Wedge I should buy, and after reading this thread, I decided to opt for the Lacerta 2" Herschel Wedge.

I decided to go for the 2" rather than the 1.25" version as the ND3.0 filter is permanently fitted internally within the wedge whilst in the 1.25" version the filter needs to be attached to the thread on the end of the nosepiece of the eyepiece you are using.  Having the filter permanently fitted means that there is no chance of me forgetting to attach it.

My setup comprises a ST102 fitted with an ED80 dual speed focuser rather than the slightly longer dual speed Skywatcher crayford focuser that @johninderby used and so there were no focus issues for me.

The only slight niggle I have is that the barrel you insert the eyepiece into is quite short and there is only just about enough space for me to fit a single polariser and #58 wratten green filter and with this filter combination there isn't much clearance between the bottom of the filter and the internal ND3.0, though I'm guessing that this could be sorted with a longer attachment.

More of a surprise was that I could achieve focus with some borrowed AE Binoviewers, but as these need a Barlow attached to the nosepiece I can only use the Barlow and polariser, and need to carefully insert the nosepiece into the 2" to 1.25" self centring adaptor as the binoviewer nosepiece cannot be fully inserted otherwise the Barlow makes contact with the internal ND filter.

I managed first light between thunder showers today, and am very very pleased. The view is lovely and sharp I could see more granulation than with the Baader Solar Film and the view appeared more contrasty.

I tend to use a Baader Mk IV zoom and had no trouble with obtaining focus at any of the settings once the filters were fitted, though I only have about 5mm in-focus to spare and this is reduced to about 2mm using the binoviewers.

The back plate of the wedge didn't get noticeably warm during use, but I only managed 10 - 15 min viewing intervals. 

The wedge is quite a substantial lump weighing about 875g with a Revelation 2" to 1.25" self centring adaptor installed, this meant that I had to increase the pressure on the Crayford to prevent slippage, but I didn't have any issues with balance on the Astro-Tech Voyager Alt Az mount that I use.

I'm hoping for clear weather tomorrow so that I can get some more viewing time in.

Overall I'm thrilled with my purchase and I think that it's remarkably good value for money £184 compared to the 2" Lunt and Baader alternatives. However, as this is my first Herschel Wedge, I can't comment on how it compares to the alternatives, though John seems to be suitably impressed.

Ade

Thanks John, but I've just tried this setup and to use it like this I'll need to cut the OTA down as you have done in order to reach focus.

I am actually seriously thinking about doing that though as I'm loving using the Binoviewers and that would kill two birds with one stone as it would let me use the Binoviewers without a Barlow too.

However, that's a project for another day, I'm going to enjoy everything as it is for the time being.

Ade

Archived