Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan Rees

Sun photo

Celestron came out with the EclipSmart Refracting Telescope. It's a $100, 50 mm scope that's made purely for solar observing. Here's the Amazon link (more so you can see it than for helping you buy one). Sure, you can buy a solar shield for less, but this is an all in one unit. By the way, the tripod it comes with is junk, but it gets the job done.  https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-EclipSmart-Certified-Refracting-22060/dp/B000051TN6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1501969944&sr=1-1&keywords=Celestron+EclipSmart+ISO+Certified%2C+2017+North+American+Total+Solar+Eclipse+Refracting+Telescope%2C+White+(22060)

The picture below was taken on July 15 around 3:00-ish.
The scope is the one described above.
The camera is the Celestron 93709 NexImage Solar System Imager.

Sun.jpg

Edited by Jonathan Rees
shorten and correct
  • Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By rotatux
      Designed on electronic paper, then printed and cut, all in a few hours.
    • By jambouk
      I am thinking of getting a Lunt 50mm scope. I want to image as well as observe. I am thinking I could put my ZWO on the scope and capture video. My question is, does focal length in a solar scope relate to the FoV as it does for a non-solar scope? The field of view calculator (http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php) suggests I could just about get a full disc with a focal length of 350mm (the 50mm Lunt), but not with a focal length of 500mm (the 60mm Lunt). Is my logic correct?

• By The-MathMog
      So, I am going to take my first steps into observing and hopefully imaging the sun, and get myself a filter for the telescope, just so that I have something to do, when I am working nightshifts, or the weather is bad at night. From what I can see, all I would need is a filter like this one https://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/astrozap-baader-solar-filter.html. Is that so, or is there anything else that you would highly recommend that I get, and why? My telescope is a Skywatcher 150PDS on a Celestron AVX mount.
      On the same time, I am looking at buying a baader hydrogen alpha 3mm filter for imaging. Is this also something I could use for observing, or it is solely for imaging? Just curious.

Any comments, tips, advice would be very much appreciated, as I would rather not damage either my eyes, or more importantly my equipment! (jk)

• By lenscap
      Just caught up with The Sky at Night from Sunday 12th Aug.  Subject Coronal Mass Ejections from the Sun.
      Must admit I am slightly disappointed, if I am even allowed to criticise such a National Instution. ?
      First, the episode subtitle, "Death Star"      . . . Groan.
      Then the intro from Maggie A-P included the statement that  a CME's "could devastate our technological world . . "
      She said something similar at the end. IMHO neither statement was backed up by the rest of the episode.
      The boffins suggested some unquantified damage to power grids & satellites "which might have hardening or redundancies"
      So I was  left with the impression of some Millenium Bug style media hype. Would definitley be great aurorae though.
      What do you  think?
    • By MarsG76
      Solar disc taken with a Canon 40D through the 8" SCT at 1280mm focal length.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.