Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

J_1

Celestron Evolution 8" Edge HD Motor Noise, IS THIS NORMAL?

Hi, 

I wonder if someone could please advise me on a few issues I seem to be having with my new Celestron Evo Edge HD 8" Telescope. 

The motors appear make a strange sound. This occurs when the scope is stationary, when adjusting the position manually or going to an object automatically. I have made a short video demonstrating the sound and can be heard during the first part of the video. Then after adjusting the position slightly it stops, then later on returns again. I don't believe this is a tracking noise as it intermittently occurs. Please note I am not referring to the louder motor noise but the quieter noise in the background.  

Another issue I am having is when I connect my tablet to the Telescope via the inbuilt Wi-Fi, the power status light, wifi light and tray light all appear to flicker slightly as if there is an electrical issue. I can't believe that I should expect the tray lighting to flicker???

If anyone could advise if the above is normal or not, I would be most grateful. 

Thanks, Jamie.

hi ive got  9.25 celestrion  it makes the same noise because it tracks  strait away

Mine makes the same noise when it's tracking, but it's barely audible even when standing right next to the scope.

Thank you for your responses, I thought it was a fault as when the sound occurs, if I adjusted the position slightly it disappears. However maybe this is normal. Any ideas about the flickering lighting? 

I initially had all manner of robotic like electrical twanging when I first got my 2014 vintage Evolution (purchased in 2016). These mounts take a long time to ship from China then might sit on retailers shelves for months. But have you upgraded the motor firmware? There was a firmware release in August 2016 that seemed to eliminate many strange sounds. Also if you use vibration pads that seems to dampen noise levels as well as reduce vibration. 

Being a first generation 'SkyQLink' Evolution my WiFi was also flaky. So I now disable the internal WiFi using a Nexstar + HC, then connect to tablet via a SkyPortal external WiFi accessory. Again, runs much quieter and no disconnects. But you must ensure that the SkyPortal external WIFI accessory has the latest Zentri chip rather than the weaker Roving Networks version.

As regards flickering lights, my WiFi light did flicker (but I didn't notice others).  Now that my internal WiFi is turned off it doesn't.  Suggests don't worry about it.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2017 at 14:51, J_1 said:

Hi, 

I wonder if someone could please advise me on a few issues I seem to be having with my new Celestron Evo Edge HD 8" Telescope. 

The motors appear make a strange sound. This occurs when the scope is stationary, when adjusting the position manually or going to an object automatically. I have made a short video demonstrating the sound and can be heard during the first part of the video. Then after adjusting the position slightly it stops, then later on returns again. I don't believe this is a tracking noise as it intermittently occurs. Please note I am not referring to the louder motor noise but the quieter noise in the background.  

Another issue I am having is when I connect my tablet to the Telescope via the inbuilt Wi-Fi, the power status light, wifi light and tray light all appear to flicker slightly as if there is an electrical issue. I can't believe that I should expect the tray lighting to flicker???

If anyone could advise if the above is normal or not, I would be most grateful. 

Thanks, Jamie.

The noise is normal, nothing to worry about.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:22, johnoelliott said:

Mine makes the same noise when it's tracking, but it's barely audible even when standing right next to the scope.

Same here. I only noticed it a couple of nights ago when the cicadas shut up for a few seconds. It doesn't bother me, it lets me know the system is working.