Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep33_banner.thumb.jpg.75d09b4b1b4e5bdb1393e57ce45e6a32.jpg

Hello,

I own a truss-tube (or collapsible) 8" Skywatcher Dob. I just wanted to ask, How do I know that the Rigel finder will fit onto my telescope. I have a 50mm right now, which I do not like due to it being right angled. Someone elsewhere said the telrad would be too large/long to fit on my collapsible dob. Help.  

The Telrad is a fine device, but I could not use mine without glasses, I was unable to focus my eyes, seeing several sets of 'Bulls-Eye' rings.
I have even seen the Telrad custom chopped to shorten their length, the Rigel is far smaller in length. But there are many images on Google showing Telrads fitted to truss/collapsible scopes

I also bought a right angled RACI scope and did not like it initially (still assessing when conditions allow) but do ensure the finder eyepiece is directly pointing at you from your observing position, it works better that way!

Edited by Charic
  • Like 1

Cant see a problem mounting a Rigel.

Smallish footprint should fit somewhere up front where you can get your head in a position to use it.

Being an elderly gent I hate the gymnastics involved.

My solution is to use a lazer finder. Just switch it on and point the beam at where I want to look. Only a solution if your well away from airfields and controlled airspace. 

• Like 1

I use a Rigel Quickfinder on my 12" solid tube dob, right alongside the 9x50 RACI optical finder. A very potent combination I find :smiley:

I wanted to keep the weight down at the top end of my tube so the Rigel was a better solution than the Telrad for me.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

I use the Rigel on my 8" F6 solid tube dob, just mount as far to the front end as you can, it works really well. You may have to be prepared to bend, kneel at bit at times, so I have a small garden kneeling mat handy, which does not create a problem for myself though for some other people it might. 

• Like 1